• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Second PC need help again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TyViking

Registered
Hey guys! I was here a bit ago and got some great help and built my first gaming PC in 10+ years. It's running like a dream and exceeding my expectations! I have to thank Knufire for all his help, he saved me some money and gave me a PC I could be proud of.

This was the PC he recommended;

attachment.php

I ended up getting a 240gb Crucial M4 SSD Instead of the OCZ because as you may know prices can change in a minute and it was on sale.

I'm in Canada BTW and these prices were from a local shop and I paid a premium for them.

Anyways, jeez this has been going on forever. Good thing I overuse commas and make new paragraphs or else there would be a wall O text :bang head

So on to the point of this ordeal guys, I'm building a second PC. My wife saw me playing guild wars and was interested, I told her to give it a try and she ended up loving the game.

After reading these forums and lurking like a boss I feel my knowledge of components has grown immensely. So I feel confident in many aspects of partpicking except for two,

Motherboards and Graphic cards brands.

I can get as far as narrowing down to boards that have what I need like correct socket type, Wireless , ram speed supported, on board audio etc. but that gets me a wide array of boards with a huge price range :) Am I thinking too much into it? Should I pick a board in the middle of the pack as far as price goes and call it good enough? I know some of you veterans are shaking your heads :chair:

I see there is a difference in the speeds of the card brands, I'm looking at the 670 again because I've had great luck with this Asus. I really like the look of the gigabyte wind force though.

So what i'm asking is does the difference really make a difference ahaha :facepalm:

I'm leaving that because it made me laugh btw.

Windforce says
Base 980
Boost 1058

Asus
Base 1058
Boost 1137

For motherboards the only real difference is the specs itself of the motherboard. Of course some companies have better quality control in their factories but overall not too much of a difference besides what you can compare between motherboards on the box and on the web. Graphic cars are kinda the same. Obviously some companies will make their cards above the stock speeds and coolers, but that can just be tailored to who is buying and what they are looking for. Reference and not reference varies by brand as well, so if you want to start offering advice to people, you're set!

How expensive of a motherboard is linked to what features you need and how far you'll push your overclock. For someone that's only doing normal 24/7 OC (say 4.5GHz on the 3570K), pretty much any motherboard will do.

The video cards just come with a factory overclock, you can do it yourself. Main difference would be the cooler they put on.

Motherboards, six and half these days, excluding benching boards (say, Rampage IV Extreme or Maximus V Extreme), and you don't need those for sure.

Just stick with known brands (if you choose an Asia-X motherboard, we'll bite) and get whatever board has the features you need. Don't pay a premium for gimmicks. In fact, ignore them.

Speaking of graphics cards, I like ASUS boards because of the DCII cooler.

Back