• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IMC Vs Quantity

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

george.e

Gooday guys. Just had a chat with a mate regarding the amount of ram in a new rig.
I am looking to put 48 Gb of ram in a new build, this will do some virtualization and some gaming. The mobo will be capable of handling 64 Gb total.

My mate said that 48 is overkill and could result in stability problems & slowest-link-in-the-chain effect.

I I understand the stability and speed effects but also speed but still believe it is worth the hasstle.

What is your advice? Would you do that considering 48 Gb costs sub $400.00 NZD.

If you'll actually use 48, get it. More RAM may limit your overclock and such, but maxing out your RAM usage will make things MUCH slower. So get how much you need, but don't go overboard.

Realistically, I will probably use 30 or so GB. There are no intentions of overclocking or upgrading the machine in the future so the idea was prep it for the entire duration of its life span.

Sounds like 32 would be enough in this case..

What motherboard and what size DIMMs were you planning on using? Wondering if it would be possible to get 32gb and still have extra RAM slots left to add more later if needed.

The chosen motherboard is an Asus (P9X79 PRO) due to its decent overall bench results and price. The ram is the Adata (16GBDUALDDR3KIT), 8 Gb per stick so in essence would end up with 4 unused slots.
I havent read much on overclocking these sticks but I dont really intend to.. well not much anyway...

Back