• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Samsung 830 128gb > OCZ Agility 4 128gb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lukestrothman

Just thought I would throw a thread up about this, recently I went to the SSD world, and heard some good things about the Agility 4, (me being quick to jump and buy one I did) Needless to say, as I filled this up with my common adobe apps, a few games, and my os, it was still fast but nowhere near how fast it was when I got it, boot times started dragging a few seconds longer than normal on initial boot. So then I see all the crystaldisk bench's of the 830 and the vertex 4, run one on my agility 4, it was half of these other ones, I went out and bought a Samsung 830, and imaged over the exact replica of what was on my agility, and wow, the difference is amazing, its near full how the agility was , boot up is great, overall random 4k is great, very fast, glad I switched over, and its the same price.

Basically just trying to help out if anyone was in the market, go Samsung, they're amazing, I was hesitant over the Vertex 4, but wow Samsung, they've done great. :) Samsung won my vote for SSD's

Their 840 series looks really nice too. Great performance at an affordable price yet again.

Their 840 series looks really nice too. Great performance at an affordable price yet again.

I will be in the market for another soon as obviously my 128gb filled in less than a week and I fell in love :)

Haven't read much on the 840's I'll look into them, the 830's are amazing, I'm scared to see what the 840's can do :D

I would recommend the 830 over the Vertex 4 or Agility 4 any day of the week. In fact, I wouldn't really recommend the Vertex 4 or Agility 4 at all. I'm not impressed by them at all. They seems to be optimised for synthetic benchmarks. The close to real world the benchmark gets, the worse they perform. And what they do with write speed is a cool trick, but most people fill up their SSD and so will get stuck with the significantly lower write performance state. I also get the sense that the firmware isn't really fully baked.

The Samsung 840 Pro is really, really impressive. Defiantly the new king of the hill. I'm also curious about vanilla 840 since it will use TLC NAND.

Yea watching reworld read/write scenario benchmarks, that alot of people are "OVERLOOKING" the 830's spanking the OCZ's in every way, I am also reading EVERYWHERE that OCZ's Customer Support blows, and Samsung is just amazing, as well as samsung makes every part of their SSD where OCZ , doesn't.

I'm gonna look into these 840's you've all got me curious now :)

Just ordered the 830 256GB version. Got $60 off on sale at newegg. I previously ordered 2 of the OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G SSD's, but had to send both back as they had issues at boot not able to read. I would have to reboot a few times for them "catch" whatever was stopping them from booting. Both did the exact same thing. I had a new Windows 7 installed on one, then installed Windows 8 on the other to see if it would boot normally, nope it didn't. Same problem.

When they did boot, I ran ATTO Benchmark and found both took about a minute to read the .5kb transfers. All the other transfer sizes ran fine. Something in the SSD's BIOS I would expect was causing issues with less then 1kb reads. Most likely the same root cause stopped them from booting properly.

Hope the new Samsung 830 doesn't have any problems.

Funny thing is, my normal SSD I use on this system is an OCZ Agility II 60 GB. Has worked flawlessly for almost 2 years now.

-Rodger

Just ordered the 830 256GB version. Got $60 off on sale at newegg. I previously ordered 2 of the OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G SSD's, but had to send both back as they had issues at boot not able to read. I would have to reboot a few times for them "catch" whatever was stopping them from booting. Both did the exact same thing. I had a new Windows 7 installed on one, then installed Windows 8 on the other to see if it would boot normally, nope it didn't. Same problem.

When they did boot, I ran ATTO Benchmark and found both took about a minute to read the .5kb transfers. All the other transfer sizes ran fine. Something in the SSD's BIOS I would expect was causing issues with less then 1kb reads. Most likely the same root cause stopped them from booting properly.

Hope the new Samsung 830 doesn't have any problems.

Funny thing is, my normal SSD I use on this system is an OCZ Agility II 60 GB. Has worked flawlessly for almost 2 years now.

-Rodger

Hope the new ones don't have problems either, since I'm leaning closer to the 830 series to replace my Vertex as soon as I get the $$$. But I'm having a similar experience with my Vertex 1, and I think it's a real hit or miss with OCZ drives. Sometimes they work flawlessly, other times they just fall flat.

Back