• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I find anti-piracy techniques and systems to be sad. Very sad.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

txus.palacios

I find it very sad when it's harder for the legit users to use something than to those who pirate it.

Just happened to me. I've just reinstalled Windows 7, inserted my key, and it started whining for phone validation. I'm having some problems with my land-line right now, thus, I can't call them. And, here I am, <I wouldn't state this publicly -thid>

How many times has something like this happened to any of you? What do you have to say about this?

Please keep it civil and remember Rule #6.

I had a huge problem with a game I purchased through Atari/Digital River where the game "activated" itself multiple times on my desktop. When I reinstalled Windows a few days later, it said my three activations were up. Atari refused to do anything to help and Digital River couldn't do anything to get it working. I eventually did get a refund through DR.

Last edited:
It drives me nuts.
There used to be a fantastic resource website for stripping DRM from legit copies of things. I used it on my legit copies of things.
Pre-DMCA (which this was) it was 100% legal too.
Now even attempting to tamper with the DRM of something that you own is illegal. It's staggeringly stupid, really.

I mostly play DRM-free games anyway, Torchlight2 for instance. FTL (Faster Than Light) for another example.

ya my windows 7 one day just unactived itself no reason the MS had no idea also but he helpped me get it working again. note i have a retail copy so changing hardware should be no problem (which i did not even do)
keys annoy me big time
also its alot more pricey for me and my friends to have lan partys because everyone now needs to buy the game, so we stick mostly to older games because of the keys stuff

It drives me nuts.
There used to be a fantastic resource website for stripping DRM from legit copies of things. I used it on my legit copies of things.
Pre-DMCA (which this was) it was 100% legal too.
Now even attempting to tamper with the DRM of something that you own is illegal. It's staggeringly stupid, really.

I mostly play DRM-free games anyway, Torchlight2 for instance. FTL (Faster Than Light) for another example.

Yea. For example, Xonotic. Free. GPLv2 license.

I've had more fun with that thing than with any other FPS game. And I've owned a lot of FPS games.

Plus, it runs natively on Linux. That gets about 100,000,000 positive points. Or more.

Nexuiz Classic FTW. Almost like Unreal Tournament, but free :) I bought the new one, but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

I've ran into this before. Infuriating really.

I am back on Linux for my daily rig (laptop). It is inconvenient, in that I already had windows setup on it, and migrating to Linux took a little time, along with virtualizing the image I created of my existing windows install because I still need that for calendar/email compatibility...

But the Linux ideals are why I run Linux. Avoid some of the archaic DRM crap.

Back