• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Server08 vpn

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unijabnx2000

Am I a real member?
Im setting up a vpn using 2008 R2.

I added the roles I needed and actually have the vpn connection working. The outside computer connects and I can remote desktop to a machine on the internal network NIC.

Otherwise, The OS is still bascially baseline settings.

But even tho I can get to the resource I want, I cant ping once im inside. Is this firewall settings? or VPN settings?

Also is it possible to have another vpn user connect and be put on another internal subnet?

Last edited:
OK so it works perfectly with my VM's

but setting it up for real is not so easy. The VPN cant access the DHCP to give ip's.... wth

Did you set up a DHCP relay agent on the vpn server? Last time I set this up was in Server 2000, but it is in the IP routing section under the RRAS snap-in. Point to the dhcp server, or the default gateway with a helper address configured. Not sure how much of this applies to 2k8, but it should be similar in operation. The RRAS server should grab pools of IPs from the DHCP server a few at a time. I think its 5 or 10 at a time.

Yeah the relay agent is there. (by default) And it works in the vm environment I created, not not on the real machine.
Did you set up a DHCP relay agent on the vpn server? Last time I set this up was in Server 2000, but it is in the IP routing section under the RRAS snap-in. Point to the dhcp server, or the default gateway with a helper address configured. Not sure how much of this applies to 2k8, but it should be similar in operation. The RRAS server should grab pools of IPs from the DHCP server a few at a time. I think its 5 or 10 at a time.

When you set it up on a physical, is it on the same subnet as the virtual? The RRAS must either be on the same subnet as the dhcp server, or you have to manually point the RRAS to the gateway facing the dhcp server and configure a helper address on the gateway interface. It could be that in the virtual environment your network is set up differently?

The problem was it was fighting another dhcp on the schools network so I just changed over to static addressing

Back