• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New HDD clicking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Panzerknacker

Disabled
I have 4 WD Caviar Green 1TB hdd's installed in my fileserver running RAID5 under Linux and I have always noticed
them making clicking sounds. This has always bothered me and this week I decided to do some research on it.

What appears to be the problem with these drives (and with similar 'eco' drives from other manufacturers) is there is
some built in 'feature' (for WD drives called 'Intellipark') which parks the drive's head in order to save power. The problem
with this is that it is basically wearing the drive out as there is a limited amount of times the head can be parked and unparked.

WD drives for example are rated at 300.000 times before failing, as I've read.

The number of times this has been happening already can be found in the SMART data of the drive, under the
value 'Load_Cycle_Count'.

You can use Smartmontools to view SMART data on most OS, here is a link to the windows version.

On my server for example, this is happening quite frequently. The load cycle count on the green drives had already
exceeded 120.000 times. I don't know if this is really leading to drive failure but somehow it was not giving me a
pleasant feeling, so I decided to take action.

Regarding WD HDD's, what can be done is using a DOS based utility available from WD to modify the drive's firmware
in order to completely disable Intellipark. I did this with succes, the drive's are working perfectly and I have not heard
a single click since.

what you want to do is:

First Step

Download WDIDLE3

It didn't mention the drives I was working on being compatible, but it was.

Second Step

Make a bootable USB Key. The guide that was super simple for me to follow was here:

http://www.bay-wolf....usbmemstick.htm

Third Step
Now to actually use the program, follow the instructions on making the bootable drive, and once it is done you should have
a fairly large partition to copy files onto. Grab the WDIDLE3.exe and copy it on over.

Final Step

Now for simplicity, I liked connecting only one drive at a time to my computer. The system should boot directly into the
DOS prompt from that key you just made.

Type "WDIDLE.exe /R"

This will give you a readout of the drive model and serial number, as well as the current timer if the drive is supported.
You can adjust the idle time, but if you are googling around enough to find this post, chances are you want nothing of it.

Type "WDIDLE.exe /D"

This will completely disable the timer. Verify the timer is disabled by typing "WDIDLE.exe /R", and if it still lists
disabled, power off the system, or if you have other drives, disconnect the current drive and plug in another.

I don't know the methods to disable head parking for drives of other manufacturers, but for WD I can confirm it's working.
If you stumble across something feel free to post, then I will include it in this post.

IMHO it's really ridiculous things like this are finding their way to drives you can buy and use for everything. The new
meaning of the word 'durable', which means stuff just becomes crappier in order to save energy instead of being really
durable and reliable for a long time.

recources:

http://forums.storagereview.com/ind...wer-western-digital-hdd-head-parking-and-you/

http://www.sagaforce.com/~sound/wdantiparkd/

Fixed your post for you :thup:
-mbentley

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting... I wonder if this is what happened to my 2TB drive... Thank god for RMA, but I am going to do this after a bit more research.

Very interesting. I had no idea there was a tool available to modify WD HDD firmware.
Thanks!

With WD drives having 2 year warranties, this might be essential as the maximum parked-head threshold may be reached well after the warranty had expired.

WD Green are not designed to work in any servers so they have enabled power saving features. File servers, especially in RAID5 will kill them much faster than some other drive series.
Btw you can also try CrystalDiskInfo -> Function -> Advanced Feature -> AAM/APM Control where you can set Advanced Power Management and Automatic Acoustic Management.

I just got some WD Greens and instantly noticed (and researched) Intellipark. Didn't know there was a way to disable it! I'll give it a shot, thanks!

WD Green are not designed to work in any servers so they have enabled power saving features. File servers, especially in RAID5 will kill them much faster than some other drive series.
Btw you can also try CrystalDiskInfo -> Function -> Advanced Feature -> AAM/APM Control where you can set Advanced Power Management and Automatic Acoustic Management.

Can be, but there is not stated anywhere that they are not meant for servers. IMHO a power saving feature should never cause a harddrive to wear out quicker, no matter the application.

My server is only for personal use, it's holding my files that's it. The harddrives are used much less frequently than they would if I simply put them in my workstation.

I just checked the SMART data on my laptop's hdd, and it has a Load Cycle Count of nearly 250k already, kinda worrying me. I wonder if these drives are designed for this.

I've updated your thread title to better reflect the contents of the thread.

Can be, but there is not stated anywhere that they are not meant for servers. IMHO a power saving feature should never cause a harddrive to wear out quicker, no matter the application.

It's more like:
Desktop/workstation ( means not 24/7 use ):
Green/Blue = mainly home/office series
Black = performance desktops
VR = high performance desktops/workstations

Enterprise / NAS series ( dedicated for 24/7 use ):
Red = NAS
RE = server

Btw I still can't find official info for how many parking times are rated WD drives. Everywhere it's link to someone else's thread on other forums.

Right now, I only have a laptop running. I bought a WD20EARX from a retailer back in June to use with a dock for backups. I checked it last night and it's clicking. I also have another one I recently bought from New Egg and, when I checked it last night, I couldn't here any clicking. I have another one coming in from New Egg sometime today so I'll check it this evening.

Since all I have right now is the laptop and the dock, is it possible to run the fix on the clicking HDD without messing up the laptop (removing the HDD in it is rather impractical, especially since it is still under warranty)? Also, will the fix run off a CD instead of a bootable USB stick (I would rather not have to change the boot order and I have plenty of CDs knocking about)?

Right now, I only have a laptop running. I bought a WD20EARX from a retailer back in June to use with a dock for backups. I checked it last night and it's clicking. I also have another one I recently bought from New Egg and, when I checked it last night, I couldn't here any clicking. I have another one coming in from New Egg sometime today so I'll check it this evening.

Since all I have right now is the laptop and the dock, is it possible to run the fix on the clicking HDD without messing up the laptop (removing the HDD in it is rather impractical, especially since it is still under warranty)? Also, will the fix run off a CD instead of a bootable USB stick (I would rather not have to change the boot order and I have plenty of CDs knocking about)?

The easiest way if possible is to try to disable the laptop's HDD from the bios; just disable the SATA controller. I don't know if you can actually select drives with the WD tool, you could try ofc. A bootable CD will work fine. What's wrong with changing the boot order? Just take a picture of it with your phone so you can restore the setting later.

The easiest way if possible is to try to disable the laptop's HDD from the bios; just disable the SATA controller. I don't know if you can actually select drives with the WD tool, you could try ofc. A bootable CD will work fine. What's wrong with changing the boot order? Just take a picture of it with your phone so you can restore the setting later.

ofc? I also have no clue how to disable the laptop's drive in BIOS. That also explains another reason why I would rather not mess with the boot order.

ofc? I also have no clue how to disable the laptop's drive in BIOS. That also explains another reason why I would rather not mess with the boot order.

Considering you know what boot order is I assumed you also know how to change it. You can't mess up anything doing so, as long as you return the order to the original setting it will work fine again. As far as disabling the built in HDD, look for a setting called something like 'Onboard SATA'. You can mess around freely in the bios as long as you don't save the settings nothing will happen.

Considering you know what boot order is I assumed you also know how to change it. You can't mess up anything doing so, as long as you return the order to the original setting it will work fine again. As far as disabling the built in HDD, look for a setting called something like 'Onboard SATA'. You can mess around freely in the bios as long as you don't save the settings nothing will happen.

Sadly, I know only enough to be dangerous (to myself and anything I touch). Pretend I'm four years old. Btw, still don't know what ofc is.

From my unRAID server:

LLC - Load_Cycle_Count
SSC - Start_Stop_Count

| Power_on | LCC | SSC
WD20EARS-00M | 1.67yrs | 7400 | 409
WD10EADS-65M | 2.61yrs | 18934 | 1392
WD10EADS-00L | 3.28yrs | 1823 | 1826
WD10EADS-00L | 3.38yrs | 1881 | 1885
WD10EADS-00L | 3.38yrs | 1855 | 1861
WD6400AAKS | 4.02yrs | 922 | 2003

Those first 2 look a little high, but nothing extreme. I changed them to 30sec using WDIDLE3.

My Samsung 203's look a little high, but the 204's & the Hitachi look fine:

| LCC | SSC
HD203WI | 8933 | 620
HD203WI | 11379 | 737
HD203WI | 10018 | 644
HD204UI | 79 | 65
HD204UI | 215 | 188
HD204UI | 830 | 823
HDS5C302 | 659 | 593

The Samsung Power_On_Hours looked strangely low, so I left them out. Th Hitachi is 1.56yrs.

Back