• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about bigadv

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BrotherJohn

I understand that 16 cores is the new minimum.
I may be getting my hands on a 4P AMD that will only take 8xxx cpu's so my question is what would the minimum speed for 16 and a 24 core be to complete in time?
From there I can determine what things will cost me since I can't afford a G34 set-up at this time.

I'm going to build a 24 core one with these 8439s but I have seen some 83XX chips at <$50

It will take all my VMs on to one physical box from a dual P4 xeon, a c2d 2.13 and a dual amd k7s
Edit: word of caution:
There is a very cheep 4 processor capable "Arima / google" opteron mainboard that is on ebay but I think it can only take up to the [8200 wrong] 8300 series with ht1.

Last edited:
I have been eying those for awhile but I may have to stick with quads for a bit.
If worse comes to worse I could run a WU at 2.8-2.9Ghz 16 core and see if it will be fast enough if I don't find an answer first.
But it looks like it will be about a month before I have the goodies.

If you have 24 core you should be able to them in 3 days, you would just get a lower return bonus. I don't know about 16. That might be half of what I do with 32 and that would be very close.

My 6128's run at a paltry 2.0Ghz. I confess I don't know anything about the 83** chips other then they are clocked higher and they are 8 core.

Last edited:
Hi Just noticed This 55/79 watt part. I'm not the seller, Live on the other side of the pond.

edit: What is your motherbaord? I keep linking HT3 DDPM parts. I would not want you to spend cash on parts that wont work together.

That would work for me, especially on the power side.
The MB I may get is a SuperMicro H8QME-2+ but finances will probably force me to get some 83xx quads for now.

Back