• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

We are falling FAR behind

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sorry bout that. I had to stop folding for 20 minutes to put a Blorb on my N. Bridge. I'm folding again, so we'll climb back up! *jk*

Well. We may fall a little more behind after tonight.
In my quest for a less noisy pc I think that I may have killed it :(
I was having trouble with the new water cooling setup. Water was cold and flowing nicely. CPU wasn't. Idle was 43c. So I took it back apart to see what was up. Still couldn't tell because the waterblock seemed to have been seated perfectly. Took it off, reapplied asII and put it all back together. Temps still off. Checked the forums for an answer since my water was cold. Maybe it wasn't tight enough. So I tightened it. Temps still bad. Tightened some more. Measure to be sure that the block was seated evenly. Temps still bad. How tight does this stupid thing need to be? Tightened some more. CRACK! uh oh. That's where I'm at. At first I thought that the crack was the cpu, but I took it out and there was no sign of any damage to it. Maybe the mobo. I haven't got that far yet and don't feel like messing with it right now. It's time for a beer and a new mobo/cpu/video whatever it was that died. Wish I knew. It wouldn't post, no beep codes or nothing. Oh well. That's my sorry tale. I had to whine about it somewhere. ;)

oh. at least it's quiet now. and the pump and everything is great. Maybe I should get a shim for it?

I dont know *anything* about water cooling, so can't tell you whether you need a shim. once I get off my lazy but and wire this 100ft networking cable to my bros room, I will get his 1.4 Ghz athlon folding 24/7 :)

I fold as much as posible but life keeps me busy so sometimes I have to shutdown. Spring break is next week so I wont be folding next week.

i fold when i can (read when my mom isnt yelling at me) but theres only so much individual people cn do we need to recruit more schools and businesses for this stuff....

20 units per day loss per me. I'm traveling for business this week and I got a weird feeling that I shouldn't leave my boxes unattented. Sorry boys...heading back upstate tomorrow and everything will be back online.

I'm trying to get permission to fold on a bunch of the nicer computers at my school, and if it works out I'll take a shot at finding some more. Until then it'll be my XP 1800+ and the family P!!! 450.
At least there's some good news. Now if they could just get the Linux client to run as fast as the windows client....

We do what we can :D

I took it apart and the athlon is dead. A very faint(and I mean very- can barely see it) spider web crack has appeared on the back side. RIP AYHJA Y. Ok. enough mourning. All that this means is that something will have to replace it. ;)
My rig is still running hot and I haven't yet figured that out. That's something to work on tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about your loss, but now you have the chance to get something even faster.

Just taking a stab in the dark. Could you have a bubble caught in the water block? Or maybe your flow is too fast?

The fact that you're running at 43 means that there is some heat transfer going on, otherwise you'd be running much hotter. I just can't think of why you'd get cold water coming out, but not better cpu cooling.

On the positive side, you'll have a nice keychain ;)

That stinks Ploaf, One of the reasons I went with the P4 is their a bit more durable.....If I was an AMD owner I would surely go through AMD cores like Pinky changes underwear......

...Wait a minute, Pinky probably changes his underwear ever birthday :beer: :beer:

lol, that is because it is not just a battle between OCAU and [H] at the moment, it's a WAR!! :D

and trust me, it will heat up even more over the next few days... Seems like everyone is pimping and borging anything they can imagine! :p

I thought I had all of the air out. Then again maybe not. Temps are lower now than what they were last night. It was overheating when I tried to run the folding client the first time, but it's doing ok now and held up all night. Still the same or higher than the glaciator so something isn't right.
It took quite a bit of pressure to crack that chip though. The springs had compressed completely and then some before is gave out under the pressure. I will wear it proudly on my keychain.
Time to check the classifieds. I think I saw something in there last night that would do very nicely. We'll see. I always get to that section just a day or two late. ;)

on topic. HardOCP doesn't surprise me, but OCAU... it's pretty impressive what they've been able to do since starting. I never thought that they'd be able to kick it up like they have.

Ideamagnate. That sounds great. Good luck getting those systems folding :)

Sorry to hear that ploaf, its XP time now!!!
i might be able to convince the science dept. at my school to do it, than well add like 20-30 p///'s to the arsennal. Not to mention my XP is gonna be at 1.8ghz by next wed. at latest and as always folding 24/7
Fold on team!!!

Do you know the best way to get a school to fold? My school just got a grant for 20 million last year for internal renivations, and they networked the WHOLE building...and got a computer for each room...plus we have 2 compter labs with 25 comps each and a library full of computers. Unfortunatly, its around 150 idle comptuers!!! I will have to change that, and they are sharing like 1 DSL line for all of them or something, beucase pages load slower than dialup!!!

btw. thanks everyone for the ideas and condolences. ;)

It would be great to see 150 cpu's from the school. I'd hate to see how slow things get when the servers go down and 150 pc's are trying to connect at the same time ;)

It sounds like the only way to handle something like that is to just ask and propose that it can be an educational tool. It's worth a shot. If you do get permission then the best thing to do to set it up would be to run the client on a machine that isn't connected to the internet because you don't want it to grab a client ID until it's installed on each machine. Run the config and enter the info. Then shut it down and burn the directory to a cd and drag and drop it into each machine. That way all the machines will have the username etc and will still have a unique ID and, best of all, it will have been pretty easy to set it up.

Ploaf said:
We do what we can :D

I took it apart and the athlon is dead. A very faint(and I mean very- can barely see it) spider web crack has appeared on the back side. RIP AYHJA Y. Ok. enough mourning. All that this means is that something will have to replace it. ;)
My rig is still running hot and I haven't yet figured that out. That's something to work on tomorrow.

Wait. It's dead. How can it be running hot? I must have missed something.

My added condolences Ploaf. I RMA'd my second AK31 for a refund. So the XP1600 AGOGA Y has been sitting idle for a month or so now and I have to decide on a new mb. I'm thinking along the lines of 8KHA+ right now.

belorsch said:
My added condolences Ploaf. I RMA'd my second AK31 for a refund. So the XP1600 AGOGA Y has been sitting idle for a month or so now and I have to decide on a new mb. I'm thinking along the lines of 8KHA+ right now.

I like epox.

Back