• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD speed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Norkris

hey
im soon going to buy a new SSD..
and im going to get the fastest SSD solution as posible for 300$
so my first question is what is the fastest:
ocz Revodrive3 120GB pcie atto benchmarked at over 1GB/s
or
2x Corsair SSD Force Series 3, 90GB Raid0 they are 555MB/s
what is the fastest here?

other pc specs:
asus p8p67 pro motherboard
intel i5 2500k - oc 4.8Ghz
16GB ram 1600mhz
gtx 560 -oc 960mhz
750w power
crappy ssd with 38MB/s write 140MB/s read

Well those Revodrive3' sure seem very nice, although according to comments they seem to still be in the beta-development stage and not quite ready for heavy-duty usage; that and they are way too pricy, it is just basically a PCIE card after all.

Have you considered the Corsair Neutron GTX, those is suppose to be like the Force GTX (but a bit slower on the speeds), while capable of simultaneous reading and writing, to make up for the loss in speed?

hmm

the Corsair SSD Neutron Series is too expensive considering the low read/write i think.. its about 395$ for 2 (120gb) in norway and the revo is 300$

I would go with a single 240 SSD, more room for games and wear leveling. Access times will be more important than read and write times. Write times are only important when installing, read times are more important when using windows or gaming. The only way you could actually use faster read and write times would be writing to another SSD on the same machine. Intel raid is not perfect and drives can be dropped from them on occasion, losing your OS install. A single larger SSD is your best bet and will yeild the best poerformance and reliability.

I would go with a single 240 SSD, more room for games and wear leveling. Access times will be more important than read and write times. Write times are only important when installing, read times are more important when using windows or gaming. The only way you could actually use faster read and write times would be writing to another SSD on the same machine. Intel raid is not perfect and drives can be dropped from them on occasion, losing your OS install. A single larger SSD is your best bet and will yeild the best poerformance and reliability.

i dont agree on that, but the revo drive is also faster on the access times..

i dont agree on that, but the revo drive is also faster on the access times..

Not from the review that I read, at best it was almost as fast as an SSD in access times with the only benches that it actually beat a single SSD was in Atto. Keep in mind that large sequential read and write operations have a limited use within Windows and the revodrive only excels at large file transfers. In reality my M4's are faster at every benchmark other than Atto, and M4's are not nearly the fastest SSD's around. If you figure in the cost comparison between the two, the SSD is the clear winner.

This is the only review that I have read and it took a few minutes to find it.

Last edited:
Not from the review that I read, at best it was almost as fast as an SSD in access times with the only benches that it actually beat a single SSD was in Atto. Keep in mind that large sequential read and write operations have a limited use within Windows and the revodrive only excels at large file transfers. In reality my M4's are faster at every benchmark other than Atto, and M4's are not nearly the fastest SSD's around. If you figure in the cost comparison between the two, the SSD is the clear winner.

thats cuz atto is the only benchmark that is testing the revo correctly..
the otherones is ust crappy for testing the revodrives, dont know why tho:-/

thats cuz atto is the only benchmark that is testing the revo correctly..
the otherones is ust crappy for testing the revodrives, dont know why tho:-/
Well, not really... They test the drives in different ways than ATTO. ATTO uses highly compressible data which SSD's eat up (and why MFG use that application to rate their drives' speed). AS SSD, Crystal Disk Mark etc in some tests do not use such compressible data so that is why their results are low compared to ATTO.

Revo's are pretty nice, but you wold probably want something thats a little simpler, such as a single drive. Revo's do have their drawbacks, but they are wicked fast, until they slow down :D

Revo's are pretty nice, but you wold probably want something thats a little simpler, such as a single drive. Revo's do have their drawbacks, but they are wicked fast, until they slow down :D

sloow down? D: cant slow down that much xD

Well, not really... They test the drives in different ways than ATTO. ATTO uses highly compressible data which SSD's eat up (and why MFG use that application to rate their drives' speed). AS SSD, Crystal Disk Mark etc in some tests do not use such compressible data so that is why their results are low compared to ATTO.

aha.. but dosent explain how the other test programs test revo to just 300-600mb/s when the revo can do 1gb o:

aha.. but dosent explain how the other test programs test revo to just 300-600mb/s when the revo can do 1gb o:
Yes... yes it does. I just explained EXACTLY why that happens on the other benchmarks.

No clue what he is talking about slowing down either. Just make sure the drive isnt stuffed full and the Garbage Collection will do its thing and keep speeds fast.

As far as access times, they are about the same with the revo coming in a bit faster from benchmarks I saw. I personally have had no trouble with Intel based SATA raid, but a drive can drop out of any array at any time. I dont believe the Intel based to show more of a propensity to do that... that said, the revo is RAIDed on its own so even if that is an issue, no worries there.

I dont have a new revo, so I dont know. I have the old revo, had it for a couple of years now. The new ones are faster.

I think Revodrive3 SSD will be better than Corsair SSD Force Series 3.

This is the review that I posted above. Compare the AS SSD with this bench on an M4, like I had mentioned it is not considered one of the faster drives out now. The M4 posts better benches in all but one instance where the Revodrive ties only in read access time.

Attachments

• as-ssd-bench M4-CT128 M4SSD2  1.14.2012 6-39-24 AM.png
    as-ssd-bench M4-CT128 M4SSD2 1.14.2012 6-39-24 AM.png
    38 KB · Views: 70
Back