• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will my computer bottleneck on a 560Ti or 660?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lowep

Registered
I have gotten some good advise last time I made a thread and am wondering before I order anything later tonight what would be the best video card upgrade for my pre-built HP pavilion (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...portFAQ&prodSeriesId=5187028&prodTypeId=12454)
It runs a gtx240 atm without problems but I want more umph in the grapics department and need to know if a 560 Ti, or a 660 for that matter, will bottleneck my cpu. According to a friend, the quad core I have in this is at the bottom of the high-end quad cores. Im planning on ordering tonight so any help I can get would help me out greatly. Many thanks in advance :)

*I also have my dxdiag if you would like me to post that for more specifics on my model.

I just hope that PSU can put out its rating (300W) or you will need to upgrade the PSU as well. That said, with your power situation in mind, I would get the 660 as it uses less power than the 560ti.

That CPU can choke out a card, especially at lower resolutions. Its an APU so its not even up there with desktop based processors from AMD...It will be fine, but a better processor would help out with low resolutions. I think the 3650 is one of hte better APUs though contrary to what your friend says..

I plan on getting a psu with the order also but since im running on a low-ish budget im looking at the 560Ti in the end. unless the 660 original outperforms it? And what psu would you recommend for either graphic card?

660 I believe is at least in the ballpark of the 560ti...not sure any site compared it with that card is the problem.

Corsair CX430 would be plenty for that setup... just make sure the PSU fits as sometimes OEM's like this have proprietary spaces.

Would i just measure the psu space to see if the corsair will fit? And here is a link my friend showed me a couple weeks ago that compares video cards, but im not really sure if it is entirely accurate lol

I dont see a link...

But yeah, measure the PSU and see what its dimensions are.

EDIT: Actually the dimensions are in your first link they are: Dimensions: 150mm x 140mm x 86mm (5.9 x 5.5 x 3.4 inches)

and this is for the CX430: 5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) x 6.3"(L). Do you have that extra inch?

I'm looking at the possibility of having to get a new case if there isn't enough room. I found one relatively cheap with plenty of room http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147107
Would I be able to just transfer the contents from my current original case to this with no problems(sans the video card and new psu) or is there a OEM specification that would limit me from doing so?

Not trying to bug the crap out of you I just want to make sure I have everything ready to go before I dish out the money :)

Ok so the case's compatibility is a micro ATX/ATX, I checked the motherboard I have through the general specs page i posted earlier and came up with a Holly2? I hate to be a bug, but I wouldnt ask if I didnt need help with this :)

OK so I found out that the motherboard would work in either of the cases I wanted but then I see that my cpu isnt that great? I read your earlier post on the a6 and got a little confused at whether or not you said it would be fine or that it was bad?

Back