• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD OC'd 975 BE @ 4.0GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YoChicken

Registered
Hello, first time here and wanted to open my very specific problem rather than searching for general solutions.

My current setup is in my signature, and has you noticed, I have my CPU OC'd to 4.0GHz and have had it that way since May and never received a BSOD. However, at the time, I had a 9800GT GPU and just last week I upgrade to a 7950.

I recently started to live stream some gameplay as well since I got my new GPU and it's been very nice. But for the last 3 days, I have been getting a series of BSOD. I never tried to live stream with my 9800GT so I'm not sure if it's the GPU, but I'm not OC'ing it so I doubt that's the problem. I'm using XSplit to live stream and after a couple hours of gaming and streaming, I get a buzzing notice and a BSOD during my live stream.

Here are the BSOD codes I have been getting:
0x0A
0xD1
0x3B
0x1E

I looked up the codes and the last two, which I received two days ago and last night, reference my vcore and I should increase it.

I increased my vcore, ran Prime95 over night and got a BSOD 5 hours into the test.

To make things easier, here are some pictures of my BIOS settings and what I have been using since May to OC to 4.0GHz

BIOS_1.jpg

BIOS_2.jpg

If you need anymore information, I will try to provide it. I'm currently at work and don't have access to my computer until the evening. Thanks in advance for the help.

turn llc from auto to enabled and see if that fixes it :)

@ Wagex: on my eX3, setting LLC to "enabled" actually disables LLC for AM3 chips. I don't know if that's the case on the 990FX, but I wouldn't be surprised.

@ OP: Where did you get your PSU? I can't find it on Google, or Newegg. That doesn't convince me that it's of any quality that I would trust.

I would try swapping out the GPUs again, and see if it can pass a stress test. If it can, then my guess is it's the PSU not being able to keep up with the new load. If not, my guess is it could be either the overclock needs tweaking, or your PSU needs replacing.

My PSU is from a pre built rig that I bought three years ago from Velocity Micro. Their machines are made to be upgraded and customizable.

From the reviews I've been able to find, it seems that the only common problem with Velocity Micro systems is their PSU. I'm leaning towards that, as the cause of your problem, especially considering that you've told us that the last few BSOD's you got were voltage related.

Lower you memory speed from 1600 to 1333. The Deneb core CPUs were hard to get stable with the ram at 1600. The CPU integrated memory controller was typically a little too weak. What you describe is typical of that problem. 1600 mhz on the ram is just on the borderline of being stable and many times it seems to be initially but proves not to be over time.

I would also look to upgrade your PSU to a quality brand like Seasonic, Antec, or Corsair but I don't think that is the cause of your instability.

Last edited:
trents, I know it seems I follow you around and repost this right after you every time you say it, but what you're saying about the Deneb CPUs being "hard to get stable with ram at 1600" is the opposite from the truth...

As an extreme overclocker and having had thorough experience with the CPUs, as well as friendship with other guys that push the CPUs on LN2 (some guys buy 10-20 of them), I have to know exactly how the CPU works as well as the system as a whole, and know what every little adjustment does as well as what parts of the CPU do what and how they act.

Phenom II X4 C3 stepping CPUs should have no trouble hitting 1800 MHz DRAM stable. Period. There is no argument, and I don't know where you heard otherwise. If the guy has ram rated for 1600 MHz, there is no reason to try to stop him from running it at rated speed. All that does is make his computer slower than it should be if it he wants to do things right.

Here is a screenshot from my former friend "chew*" (set CPU Frequency Guinness World Record with AMD FX at AMD Austin with two other guys I know)

As you can see, this CPU is running 1886 MHz stable...if you'd like me to post my own numbers or more numbers...
lrg_gskill8.jpg

Last edited:
I appreciate all the help everyone has been given me. Tonight, I actually went through my live stream with success. The only changes I made were to enable LLC and I turned off Cool 'n' Quite so my voltage doesn't drop. No BSOD tonight. I will update tomorrow if it happens or not. Wish me luck!

Well I got another BSOD this morning. I started up WoW and 20 seconds in, I get a 0x124 error. So I decreased my CPU NB Voltage from 1.3 to 1.1 and left my RAM at 1600. I started prime95 and went to the gym, so we'll see what happens. If I get another BSOD that us RAM related, I'll lower the speed and test it then.

woo glad i idea partially helped! :D i have never overclocked an AMD chip so idk how they work was just a hunch seeing you were so close lol.

I came home from the gym with another BSOD. This time the error code was 0x50. So I decreased my CPU NB thinking it was a bit high. Then I come out of the shower and see another BSOD while running Prime95, but the error code was 0x1A.

According to a forum post somewhere, I got this:
0x1A = Memory management error. It usually means a bad stick of Ram. Test with Memtest or whatever you prefer. Try raising your Ram voltage

My RAM voltage is at 1.5, but I don't think I should raise it more. I guess I'll try a Memtest.

I find it funny that these problems started happening after the video card upgrade.
The only specs I could find on your PSU are actually on an 850w. It's got 4 +12v rails, each at 20A. Did your old video card have 1 power plug, or 2? If it only had 1, maybe the second plug, the one you weren't using before, is on the same rail as your CPU? That could cause the voltage-related issues you mentioned in your first post.

Alright, so I did some more tweaking and brought my computer to work to run some tests since I have the resources here.

Instead of having my RAM voltage on auto and some other settings. I set my RAM voltage to 1.5 as that is what my sticks are suppose to run at, and lowered the CPU NB voltage to 1.1v.

Hope it all works. I'm running prime 95 right now and my temps are in the 30s. The room our work bench is in is very cool since we do all our machine tests there. If it passes here, then I'll assume that the temperature in my bedroom is just too warm. I idle around the 40s and 50s.

@Dlaw - my 9800GT did have one power plug and this 7950 has two, but the extra power cord is attached to the 6-pin connector I used for my 9800GT. That's the only power cords for a video card on my PSU. But I will be investing in a brand name PSU soon just to have that extra help.

Thanks again for all of your help!

I find it funny that these problems started happening after the video card upgrade.
The only specs I could find on your PSU are actually on an 850w. It's got 4 +12v rails, each at 20A. Did your old video card have 1 power plug, or 2? If it only had 1, maybe the second plug, the one you weren't using before, is on the same rail as your CPU? That could cause the voltage-related issues you mentioned in your first post.

I'm in agreement Dlaw, I couldn't find a single review on that PSU and that's usually not a good sign. He started getting the BSOD when he added a more powerful GPU. Sounds to me like it's a PSU issue.

I double checked and my PSU is indeed the 850w one. You think if I were to get a brand name PSU, it would fix the voltage isses and BSOD?

I already have a PSU in mine. It's the 720w Cooler Master Silent Pro on newegg.

Good news. I tweaked my voltage up a bit and Prime95 has gone through 10 tests with 0 errors and warnings. Passing all 4 workers. I'll keep it running for a while longer just to make sure I got it right.

If you are going to purchase a new psu look in the power supply section for recommended ones.

Back