• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possible to tighten my timings or raise my ram frequency?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Showbe

Registered
Can anyone help me with this? I have tried tightening my timings and it cant get stable. Everything I have tried testing with memtest will give me errors.

What can I do to get it to run at 1866 MHZ or tighter frequencies?

I have tried to put my Dram at 1.6 - 1.65 volts it will post at 1866 Mhz or if I Tighten my timings, it will either crash/freeze or it will give me errors on mem test. Not even to 8-9-9-24-2T. will work. Any ideas on what I can do?

Does CPU/NB have anything to do with it? If so I believe I have tried 1.3 volts for CPU/NB also with 1.6 volts and it will still do the same. I dont think I have done it at 1.65 at that setting though. Yesterday was my first time putting it at 1.65 volts because I wasnt sure if it would be good to put it their w/ 1.25 cpu/nb and it still froze.

My build is in the sig. Could it be my Mobo is holding me back? I read that tightening the timings for this RAM should be easy but I cant even do anything to get it stable unless if its at its stock timings. Only thing I have managed to do is put it at 1T.

Prime95 was running in the backround. Temps are under load.

15dkznp.jpg
14spm38.jpg

Last edited:
Try 1866 9-10-9-28 or 9-11-9-28 or 9-11-10-28, 1.65V , 2T
CPU-NB should be working fine on stock for these clocks but you can add 0.05-0.10V.

Probably higher memory clock won't help you much in performance. For higher performance it will probably run better @1600 8-8-8-24 2T ~1.65V and higher CPU-NB clock. 2400MHz CPU-NB should be stable for all FX series but you can try 2500-2600MHz ( in this case you have to raise CPU-NB voltage ).

I don't know what IC you have in your memory as these kits were mixed so you have to try some sets of timings yourself. Voltage on stock as I see is 1.50V so up to 1.70V should be still safe. Try to keep it at about 1.65-1.68V max for 24/7.

Try 1866 9-10-9-28 or 9-11-9-28 or 9-11-10-28, 1.65V , 2T
CPU-NB should be working fine on stock for these clocks but you can add 0.05-0.10V.

Probably higher memory clock won't help you much in performance. For higher performance it will probably run better @1600 8-8-8-24 2T ~1.65V and higher CPU-NB clock. 2400MHz CPU-NB should be stable for all FX series but you can try 2500-2600MHz ( in this case you have to raise CPU-NB voltage ).

I don't know what IC you have in your memory as these kits were mixed so you have to try some sets of timings yourself. Voltage on stock as I see is 1.50V so up to 1.70V should be still safe. Try to keep it at about 1.65-1.68V max for 24/7.

I have tried 12-11-12-27 for 1866 and it wont even pass mem test. I believe it froze when I tried that. I have had it at 2400 cpu nb before also just havent gotten around to changing it. 2600 and it wouldnt be stable at 1.3 volts.

I cant even get it to get to 8-9-9-24-2T with 1.65 volts. Would my CPU/NB raised to 1.3 volts help with that? I am still pretty new to OCing. Took me 2 months to finally get a stable 4.4 ghz on my PC. Build is in my sig.

Also what is IC?

Some of Vengeance 1600 are almost not overclocking ( as I said it depends from chips ) so if you can't make it stable @1800+ then try to set tighter timings @1600. For that you will need higher memory voltage but you shouldn't need higher CPU-NB voltage to make it as IMC is designed for memory clocks up to 1866. You can of course try it as maybe board is undervolting CPU-NB.

Try to change memory slots. If you have it in 1/3 then move it to 2/4 ( counting from cpu side ). Sometimes it helps.
Also try higher memory voltage but I doubt it will help much as going up from 1.50 to 1.65V didn't help.
Maybe 1600 9-8-8-24 or 9-8-7-24 will work.

Still best will be if you try to set higher CPU-NB clock.

IC = integrated circuit , simply memory chips in this case
IMC = integrated memory controller, in this case CPU-NB is IMC voltage

Some of Vengeance 1600 are almost not overclocking ( as I said it depends from chips ) so if you can't make it stable @1800+ then try to set tighter timings @1600. For that you will need higher memory voltage but you shouldn't need higher CPU-NB voltage to make it as IMC is designed for memory clocks up to 1866. You can of course try it as maybe board is undervolting CPU-NB.

Try to change memory slots. If you have it in 1/3 then move it to 2/4 ( counting from cpu side ). Sometimes it helps.
Also try higher memory voltage but I doubt it will help much as going up from 1.50 to 1.65V didn't help.
Maybe 1600 9-8-8-24 or 9-8-7-24 will work.

Still best will be if you try to set higher CPU-NB clock.

IC = integrated circuit , simply memory chips in this case
IMC = integrated memory controller, in this case CPU-NB is IMC voltage

Guess I am out of luck then. I tried it with 1.66 volts and tried to get 2600 cpu/nb at 1.375 voltage and that wouldnt even work. Higehst I can get is 2400 cpu/nb. Ram must of been a bad pair then fml.

I cant do 1/3 because my 212+ is in the way of that slot.

I managed to get it to 9-8-8-24-2T without any errors so far with 1.65 Voltage. I guess I wont be able to change my CAS latency which I remember reading thats the most important one. Can I still go lower to say 9-7-8-21-2T for example if I manage to get my ram stable at 9-8-8-24-2T. I have never done this with ram before. If I can get it stable would tightening the timings lower without lowering the CAS latency be ok? or should I not even bother. Like for example if can I do 9-7-7-18 or 21-2T without having to lower my CAS latency?

Also how does the Bank Cycle Time work when I lower that? How much should I do it at one time if I manage to tighten it a little more from stock?

Thanks for your time/help btw.

Last edited:
On this platform you won't see any special difference if you set memory @ 8-8-8 or 9-8-8 or 9-7-7. Try tightening other timings but I wouldn't really bother if it's for daily work.

Most FX series are running stable up to 2400 CPU-NB, some higher but usually no more than 2600 on higher voltage. Switch from 2200 to 2400 will give you more than going up to 1866 memory clock and 2200 CPU-NB.

Last edited:
I have managed to get the CPU/NB at 2400 but I get an error that says "FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4" on Prime95 Blend Test.

Could that bet my cpu/nb causing that since its at 2400 now? I have the voltage at 1.3 volts. Should I try and raise it to 1.325?

At 9-8-8-24-2T it is stable on Memtest. Now I am trying 9-8-8-21-2T. and looks good so far.

I use this PC mainly for gaming but have made OCing kind of my new hobby. If I am not gaming I find my self trying to OC and tighten my timings a lot to try and find what is the most stable set up for me. 2 months ago I was relying on AI Suite II to auto overclock for me and I have slowly learned more and more about OCing. Now I use the BIOS after I realized the Auto OC on that program set my CPU/NB at 1.7125 w/ 1.4125 Vcore Voltage. It did manage to get it to 4250 Mhz before it stopped on the stock voltage. Now I am at 4415 Mhz with the current voltage I am at.

Should I turn off CPU/NB LLC? Would that help my PC be stable at 2400 MHZ and not throw an error on Prime95? Before I left The CPU LLC off before and couldnt get a stable OC at 4415 Mhz because of Vdroop but now its stable after leaving it on. My temperatures are a lot higher now though. I am not sure about CPU/NB LLC since I dont know which voltage I should be looking at on HWmonitore for my CPU/NB.

This PC is almost on 24/7. I put it on hibernate or sleep when I go to bed then it will be back on when I wake up.

Last edited:
Back