• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Terrible FPS coupled with Low CPU load

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nadem

Registered
Greetings Overclockers!

I'm running an AMD FX-6200 together with a Radeon HD 7970 (both of them overclocked) and I'm getting some very peculiar performance in certain games.

I mostly play Battlefield 3, DayZ and Planetside 2 BETA and it's DayZ and PS2 which are giving me the most trouble, while BF3 runs smooth as silk.

During gameplay, my CPU load never exceeds 60%, and my GPU usage stays around 30-40%. Whatever I do, if I change the settings in any of the games or look in the config to drop render distances to the bare minimum, running at minimum or maximum does not make any difference, the CPU load and GPU usage stays the same and the temps are fine (not exceeding ~35 degrees Celsius for the CPU). All of this results in low FPS, around 25-30 in dense vegetation in DayZ and 30-35 FPS during large-scale battles in PS2.

What could be the problem? The most annoying fact is probably the low CPU load, since the GPU shouldn't have too much trouble running PS2 (which is a DX9 game) and an ARMAII engine game. Why isn't the machine being brought to it's maximum?

I did test it with 2 cores disabled, to see what would happen if only 4 threads were running, and I set the games' CPU priority to high, still not exceeding the 60~70% mark.

Hardware Specs:
Gigabyte GA-970a-DS3
AMD FX-6200 @ 4.4GHz 1.425 Vcore with a Phanteks PH-TC14PE cooler.
Gigabyte Radeon HD7970 Windforce 3X @ 1150 core clock & 1575 memory clock (recent purchase, latest Catalyst drivers).
G.skill Ares 2 sticks á 4GB (8GB total) 1866Mhz memory, running them at 2000MHz
Samsung 830 128GB SSD (the games are installed on it).
Old(ish) 5200 RPM HDD for random storage.
XFX ProSeries 750W (88% Silver Rated).

Last edited:
I did not look to see if you posted in the ATI video card forum section or not. There you might get a better answer since they keep up with more of what is happening with the latest drivers and which games normally do what with cpu/gpu loading. Might get a quicker answer.

Thank you RGone for the advice, I'll try what you said.

Back