• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Gigabyte endless boot loop - solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bletchley Park

This is not a request for help, it is an offered solution.

A Gigabyte motherboard, X58 UD7 failed repeatedly during startup, it would show the 88 error code and reboot continuously without reaching the bios setup. After trying many supposed solutions from the internet an extension cable was added to the 24-pin power connector to test the theory that it was one of the power pins that would not make a proper connection.

The cable is a $2.99 part found on e-bay and was used only to test whether the connector would make contact and allow the system to boot normally.

The extension cable runs too hot for permanent use as it is made of sub-quality cabling. I disconnected it after it reached 50 degrees c on the 3.3v lines.

The extension cable was removed again and the original power connector re-seated but tweaked a bit so it would not be the perfect fit.

The system now boots up again.

No BIOS settings, ram, video card or cables changes were performed.

When searching the net for solutions I often read that people swap the complete power supply. Obviously a new power supply will have a slightly different 24-pin connector and it too will need to be re-seated into the 24-pin power plug socket on the motherboard.

This leads me to believe that the power connector socket on the motherboard itself is the culprit in at least some of the reported cases of endless boot loop. this would also explain why this problem is not only limited to X58 boards. Gigabyte presumably uses the same 24-pin connector socket on all its boards.

EDIT: I retract my statement that this fixed the issue. The problem has reappeared.

Last edited:
Maybe, if the end-user has soldering skills, he could replace the connector with a new one? Let me look for thid's modding resource thread, I think he had this connector's P/N.

Back