• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External vs online storage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Opusbuild

Hi all, would like so advice from the pros on data storage solutions. I noticing now that I am accumulating 1000's GB's of data and vet quickly I am needing to keep buying external HDD's to back them up. Is it time to move to unlimited online storage solutions? What experiences do you have with this? Any adobe? Thanks.

Hello. I am not a "pro on data storage solution".
But personally I prefer crashplan unlimited. 5$/mo. Unlimited space. That's like 1tb hdd over a year.

I also suggest CrashPlan, but for more reasons than just price or storage space. The data is encrypted before it sent to their servers, so they have no way of viewing your data. In addition, they have a Linux client, which works well with my setup (CentOS server).

As to what you should do, it comes down to what you need. CrashPlan is offsite backup, your external drive is storage. These aren't the same thing. Storage can be accessed immediately, backup is used to restore lost/overwritten files.

I think I would like to use online storage for all my archive files and a few external HDD for my 'live documents.

But with something like crash plan, you can access any of files when you want to? Right?

Thanks all

You don't access them like normal hard drives, no. It backups up the selected folders and you can restore them through the interface.

There are so many of these backup storage solutions, crashplan looks good. Would it be better than something like this http://onlinestoragesolution.com/features.html?

I assume you gents/ladies have had good experiences with them. I like the idea of encryption before uploading. I always wondered what stops the storage company from trolling through your data.

Last edited:
What you linked is nothing like CrashPlan. As I said, CrashPlan is a backup, not storage. I have never heard of that company before, so I would do some serious research into them before trusting them with any of my data.

:shrug:Opps... So it seems I am after online and offsite "storage" rather than "backup".

I need to keep digging.

I'm currently trying out that "OnlineStorageSolution" site...

So far I've been happy...

I enjoy being able to use FTP to upload and download... Versus having yet ANOTHER program running in the background on my PC.

Has anyone else had any experiences with any other online storage companies, carbonrite seem quite expensive.

Carbonite is a backup, just like CrashPlan. I don't have experience with online storage companies, nor have I researched them, so this is beyond my knowledge.

This is not available to everyone but Charter has on line storage/backup for their HSI service. At a certain speed level the service is free and for lower speeds it costs about $5/month. Anyway its 10 Tetrabytes worth of storage! You can use it as backup or as on line storge with the storage being available directly from the Windows Explorer almost like another drive.

Now the reality of it. You say you have 1000's of gigs of files and you want them on line. Have you considered how long it will take to upload 1000 gigs
(1T ?) at 4.2Mps which equals .54MBps? (this is my Charter upload speed)

And what about data caps if you have them?

You can do it but it could be a real PITA for various reasons.

Now the reality of it. You say you have 1000's of gigs of files and you want them on line. Have you considered how long it will take to upload 1000 gigs
(1T ?) at 4.2Mps which equals .54MBps? (this is my Charter upload speed)...

...You can do it but it could be a real PITA for various reasons.

^^This

More about backups than storage, but still relevant:

If there's a disaster, I prefer to have a quick recovery, hence my strategy of two external backups: one connected to the backup server (yep, backups of backups) and one in the safe. ViceVersa Pro keeps it all up-to-date. Although we still measure our bandwidth in Kb/s, I'll continue to embrace our current strategy until the internet reaches Gigalan speeds. In other words, for the foreseeable future.

One last bit (and a bit of a turn-about): One purpose of our backup server is to make local backups of data that our customers store online. Although I have perfect confidence in the efficacy of online resources, I prefer to have local backups, just in case...

Last edited:
^^This

More about backups than storage, but still relevant:

If there's a disaster, I prefer to have a quick recovery, hence my strategy of two external backups: one connected to the backup server (yep, backups of backups) and one in the safe. ViceVersa Pro keeps it all up-to-date. Although we still measure our bandwidth in Kb/s, I'll continue to embrace our current strategy until the internet reaches Gigalan speeds. In other words, for the foreseeable future.

One last bit (and a bit of a turn-about): One purpose of our backup server is to make local backups of data that our customers store online. Although I have perfect confidence in the efficacy of online resources, I prefer to have local backups, just in case...

I like to hear what pros are doing as far as data backup. I think your method makes a lot of sense. It can also make sense for normal users too. I have it partly implemented as far as redundencey goes but its the physical seperation that I am weak in. Good redundency is a necessity.

Most of my clients use Carbonite, because it's simple, it just works, it's well established, and it's one less thing I have to worry about.

Really interesting discussion and good to hear from the pros on backup and storage strategies.

As a "home" technie, I feel the best solution for me would be to have:

1) One local backup for instant and fast access (external HDD's)
2) One offsite backup (external HDD's)
3) One online backup (using companies like suggested in this post)

Number 3 is the one I am trying to get sorted at the moment :)

Last edited:
Back