• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking ahead. How worth it are dual gpu cards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nephilim

Hiya,
Im planning out the further updating of my rig, got the 3820 SB in eyesight :p
And Im trying to think about graphics solutions,

I would rush out and get a 690 (after some saving that is) but Im wondering how functional dual gpu cards really are. Is it going to share all the same problems outright that an sli/cf setup will? Because that kind of limits the amount of games it will even be useful on.

I was kind of holding my breath to see what other vendors would do with an hd 7990 but that remains to be seen.

Anyway, I dont really want to hold back with this next upgrade cycle but do you think I should roll with a 690 or CF some 7970's or wait to see what next gen brings in the coming quarter/next year. (and instead spend the money on nice frills like SSD's and better ram etc.

I would love to here some first hand experience of 690 owners, how good the drivers are etc.

I wouldnt bother with the X79 platform for gaming. I really wouldnt get the X79 platform and a 3820 (the whole point of that platform is for Hex cores). 3770K and Z77 + 690 will be BOSS.

That said, yes, the 690 shares the same concerns of SLI/Crossfire as it is SLI on a single card.

There is no point in 'better ram' as it returns nearly nothing for you outside of benchmarks.

Assuming you are rocking 1920x1200 or less, a single 680 or 7970 will be fine for a couple years.

You are going to get a two repsonses from this site... one side will tell you that youre always better off with a powerfull single card and then the other side will point out how much more power you can get out of a dual GPU setup for the money...

My 2cents....

A single card will never be as powerful as a crossfire set up for the same amount of money.

A crossfire setup will consume more power and generate more heat than a single card.

Not all games scale the same for crossfire so your returns will vary as compared to a single card.

Setup is very easy for either setup because the drivers now adays are very 'turn-key'. You do have the added annoyance of updating CAP's which are Crossfire Application Profiles that are designed to better utilize the Crossfire scaling for a given game but you install a new CAP whenever you are updating your video drivers...

Crossfire/SLI setups really shine when using multiple monitors and might top out on a single 1080p monitor dep on the settings and game.

On of the reasons for the wanting to upgrade is I might be wanting to run a triple monitor setup someday soon.

Is the 3820 really not a good choice? I was also looking at the 3930 but for the difference in money...
I thought Ivy wasnt as strong for gaming?

On of the reasons for the wanting to upgrade is I might be wanting to run a triple monitor setup someday soon.

Is the 3820 really not a good choice? I was also looking at the 3930 but for the difference in money...
I thought Ivy wasnt as strong for gaming?

ivy is strong its slightly better than SB and those are SB-E chips but they just meant its pointless to have a 6 core cpu for gaming, wont help much if at all and its a waste to have an SB-E quad core on an SB-E platform :)

1155 platform is more than plenty strong for any gaming you could ever want :) atleast until its outdated lol

ivy is strong its slightly better than SB and those are SB-E chips but they just meant its pointless to have a 6 core cpu for gaming, wont help much if at all and its a waste to have an SB-E quad core on an SB-E platform :)

1155 platform is more than plenty strong for any gaming you could ever want :) atleast until its outdated lol

Ok I think I understand now. I am admittedly out of the loop when it comes to Intel stuff, and as much of a traitor I feel for wanting to switch over at that xD

I just wanted to get the best I could for up to like 500 bucks on the cpu, I was a little thrown off on some of the Ivy bridge specs since on paper it seemed like SB stuff was better but I didnt know. Well back to shopping I guess :p

For a multimonitor setup a 690 is a good choice.. or any multiple cards.. Its almost a requirement to have really.

But yeah, Z77 and 3770K over X79 and a quad. If you can and want to afford it, grab 3930K, but if you arent using hte extra cores, I wouldnt spend the money.

Back