• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'd PC, adding new RAM. Getting some error.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clarent

So, I just bought a RAM kit and after jamming them into my OC'd machine, I kept getting BSoD. Memory diagnose reports hardware problem and the problem disappears after I use only my old RAM (Using the new RAM without the old cause the blue screen).

Am I right to assume that I got lucky and managed to get faulty RAM? :( Or it is something to do with my machine being OC'd. Do I need to reset first?

The old and the new RAM are completely the same model.

Additional sticks can add some instability and require additional voltage bumps here and there...

In order to help you we will need to know all of your hardware and settings.

Are you trying to double your ram amount by adding a second kit of the same ram? More sticks makes the IMC work harder and like King said you may to bump some voltages.

I see. Thanks, didn't thought of that. But I did reset my OC and use only the new RAM, even when I use the new RAM in the old RAM's slot, the new RAM gave me BSoD or unable to enter windows (stuck at welcome or earlier) and memory diagnose hardware problem detected.

I see. Thanks, didn't thought of that. But I did reset my OC and use only the new RAM, even when I use the new RAM in the old RAM's slot, the new RAM gave me BSoD or unable to enter windows (stuck at welcome or earlier) and memory diagnose hardware problem detected.

Is the ram different in any way? Did you force your old rams timings? You may need to change them to the proper timings. I usually recommend against auto because even with auto it neversoft seems to get the jdec profile correct. Also make sure you have the voltage that the jdec profile your are using requires. Also the command rate of 1 or 2 it can change to 2 at higher clock speeds.

defective ram is rare but possible.. If you have an asus with the ram test button try that.

But my over all recommendation to you is to sell the old ram return the new ram and buy new ram at the lowest voltage for the speed you want. Like adata has some low voltage DIMMs that perform very well and overclock well because of the low voltage, gskill seems to have the best timings for the money.

Back