• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED My HDD In another computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

natholas

Registered
Hey Guys. So I have moved to switzerland for a few months! and I have brought my harddrive which has windows 8 on it.. it obviously had the drivers for my system on it and I am now trying to use it for the few months that I am here in another computer.. I have hooked up the hdd and pressed the power button.. it posts and then goes passed the bios.. then when the windows logo is meant to pop up the screen goes black..

I think it might have something to do with the graphics card driver. And the motherboard that he has is a p7p55d-e which doesnt have any video out slots on the board itself :/

Any ideas how i can fix this?? I have already made a backup of my important files and I am ready to just reinstal windows 8.. but is that really necessary?

Thanks for the help :D

It sounds like you won't be able to just do a quick HDD swap and access the OS. You're getting video since you can see the POST, and Windows has its default video driver to use automatically when there isn't a compatible 3rd party driver installed. So, I wouldn't think it would be a GPU driver issue.

I think you'll need to reinstall the OS and start fresh to be able to use your friend's hardware. Sometime hardware swapping works and the OS doesn't care, other times it won't boot (usually a BSoD or similar when the logo is supposed to appear).

Thanks for the quick reply.
Ok well I guess Ill just have to reinstall then.. *sigh*

Thank you!

Just thought of something to try before reinstalling... Try switching the ACHI/IDE/RAID modes of the SATA ports. For example, if you installed the OS in IDE mode and the mode is set to ACHI, then you'll get the crash at logo startup as well. It needs to be set to whatever you used when installing the OS.

Just thought of something to try before reinstalling... Try switching the ACHI/IDE/RAID modes of the SATA ports. For example, if you installed the OS in IDE mode and the mode is set to ACHI, then you'll get the crash at logo startup as well. It needs to be set to whatever you used when installing the OS.

I tried.. same result :-/

Back