• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Iso trouble shooting, dead cpu/motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nattan920

Registered
I have an old amd rig(built in 2009) and it worked recently ( last run was 6 months ago), I have built a new pc since then but I wanted to turn my old pc into a storage nas.

Specs:
Code:
4( 2gb ddr2 ram sticks)
AMD Phenom II X4 940
ASUS M4A79 Deluxe AM3/AM2+/AM2

My issues:
either the board/cpu is dead, not sure how to test it. Wont post to bios.

What I have done:
Code:
I have "bread-boarded" "test-benched" it, completely out of the case with only the essential components, tested with 3 different power supplies. the power supplies worked.

Tested with 1 stick of ram at a time and rotated between the 4 channels and between 4 different sticks.

Pulled out the battery on the motherboard, tried with it out.

Tried 3 different video cards

So I think its down to the motherboard or cpu, is there anyway to tell with out replacing the specific components? Since I don't have a spare am2+ motherboard or a spare am2+ cpu.

That's one of the hardest diagnostics to do. I had the same problem before and it turned out to be the motherboard . Have you tried jumping the mb? That can be a clear indicator if the mb is dead if it does not beep. Testing the CPU will be hard if you don't have an extra mb. Have you metered your PSU? That could be another cause as it may not be getting enough power to the mb

JJ White

As far as booting, I dont have a system speaker so there is no indication from sound or visuals. I can hear the fans starting up, cant hear the ssd.

Shadow300

What do you mean by jumping the motherboard? Just being able to power it on with out the switch? (in that case it has the pins and a power and reset button built onto the board. The board powers the fans as far as I can tell, but zero visuals from the videocard(s), if i dont power the videocard directly from the psu the fans revup to 100% just off the pci-e power.

I just ordered a cheap motherboard, soo ill be able to test it next week, but are there any other suggestions? Maybe something I havnt thought of that could be the issue?

By jumping the motherboard he means clearing the CMOS with the jumper usually located near the CMOS battery on the motherboard. Sometimes they get hung up and need to be reset like that.

Did you try another PSU?

Ive tried 3 different psu's all of them work in different rigs, so power isn't the issue

I just reset the jumper, and still nothing. (side note: isnt removing the battery the same thing as clearing the cmos? )

Ive tried 3 different psu's all of them work in different rigs, so power isn't the issue

I just reset the jumper, and still nothing. (side note: isnt removing the battery the same thing as clearing the cmos? )

Yes, it's the same. Maybe even better.

there is not built in gfx on the board, why i tried three different video cards ( all which work ) and switched the pci slots also

Well I bought a new cpu and a new motherboard, ended up testing each out and it looks like both the old motherboard and the cpu were damaged somehow. Not quite sure on how this happened but both would not work with new counter parts.

Hmm. Make sure your PSU is not taking out other components. A bad PSU can do that. I would get a multimeter and test the PSU voltages for being within spec.

Back