• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking my Phenom II X4 970, voltage too high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

m4nathan

Hey guys new here and to OCing, but I wanted to give it a shot. I've been using AMD OverDrive to OC and CPUZ+CPUID to monitor my stats while I stress test with Prime95. I'm air cooled with a push pull Hyper 212.

Onto the problem(?), I seem to be completely stable at 4GHz, but both CPUID and CPUZ say my Core voltage is at 1.46 or higher.

So I went back to AMD OverDrive at put my voltage to 1.412 from 1.425 and it dropped to 1.45, then raised as soon as I started Prime95 again.

Not sure if that's a save voltage or what so any help is welcome. If you need more info feel free to ask.

That's probably because LLC (Load Line Calibration) is kicking in to supplement the voltage under load.

Your "safe" up to 1.5V. But depending on your cooling you could be "safe" higher then that. So I would say you are good to go.

Ok so as long as I'm not getting too hot and my voltage stays under 1.5 then no worries? 4.1GHz is stable to but a little hot. 4.2 hits 58c after about 15min and do I stopped prime95

Ok so as long as I'm not getting too hot and my voltage stays under 1.5 then no worries? 4.1GHz is stable to but a little hot. 4.2 hits 58c after about 15min and do I stopped prime95

If it's stable at that temp then you have no worry because that is a safe temp. You need to realize, however, that the AMDOD stress test is very wimpy and inadequate and really does not give a true picture of stability. Try the Prime95 blend test and you will see what I mean but make sure you monitor the core temps when you do.

If it's stable at that temp then you have no worry because that is a safe temp. You need to realize, however, that the AMDOD stress test is very wimpy and inadequate and really does not give a true picture of stability. Try the Prime95 blend test and you will see what I mean but make sure you monitor the core temps when you do.

Yeah the stability testing that I'm talking about was all using prime95. Small FFTs seemed to run the hottest so that's what I used for a 12 hour test. Never broke 55c.

~Thanks for all your help guys!

Now do the Prime blend or Large FFT to make sure you give the ram and the CPUNB a good workout.

Back