• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help needed - Vcore stability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wikksmith

Just installed a new PSU (Corsair AX750). According to the latest version of CPU-Z, the core voltage of my Q9550 varies from 1.072v to 1.216v at idle or with Chrome running. The BIOS is set to Turbo on my Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P. C1E is enabled. PC Health fluctuates from 1.220v to 1.236v. Voltage with PrecisionX stress test running is stable at 1.2.
Is this normal? Is this an energy saving feature of the CPU or the BIOS? Is CPU-Z the best way to check Vcore? When I Google this I get all kinds of info regarding overclocking! Corsair tech support says I've got a bad PSU and approved a RMA. Are they right? I'd hate to reinstall the PSU is nothing is wrong with it.
Thanks for any feedback.
wikksmith

Win 7Pro/Q9950/Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P/Intel 2nd gen SSD/EVGA gtx260/8gb Gskill DDR2 pc6400/Corsair AX750.

Normal power saving stuff on the CPU. You want to get rid of that, kill C1E, and any "C" states.

OK-so there's no need to return the PSU to the local Fry's to another unit?

I plan to try OC'ing the Q9550 and perhaps the gtx260. I just ran the PC through a Kill a Watt unit: it topped off at 270W with all 4 cores at 100% So, I assume I don't really need 750W.
Thanks, wikksmith

Considering that drop is normal, no. Keep it.

You dont remotely need 750W, no. A quality 550w PSU will be fine. Remember, the value off the killawatt is also from the WALL so you need to take in to account the efficiency of the PSU. So if its a 90% efficient PSU, you are actually drawing around ~250W.

You are correct: with C1E disabled, it has settled down, but still moves between 1.072 and 1.212.
Re PSU, I upgraded from an Antec Neo500W because I replaced a 9800GT with the gtx26which requires 2 PCIs. I was going to go with an Antec HCG620 ($89 at Fry's), but it has only 3 SATA terminals per cord, and I have 4 drives. The AX750 was $115 with MIR. Any suggestions for a good 550 to 620W? or perhaps I should just stay with the AX750 and focus on OC'ing
Again, thanks.
wikksmith

EarthDog:
Thanks for answering my questions. I'm keeping the AX750 will focus on OC'ing. I'll begin with your guide.
Cheers, wikksmith

Back