• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Still Trying to Figure Out Which Fans to Get

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noname2020x

Not only does my PC hum pretty loudly, it also doesn't get good static pressure, so I need new fans. That said, I'm having trouble on picking new fans.

Goals: <30db normal
<45db gaming
<$75
>40CFM In case pressure

My 2 biggest noise culprits seem to be my side fan and my cpu fan. (#2, #3). My hyper 212+ fan is just too loud for my taste. That said, fan #1 is the fan that came with the PC case, so it gives pretty poor airflow. Quite honestly, with all of the out fans, I don't see how I can have a steady positive inside pressue without getting some loud 100+ CFM fans for intakes.

For #5 and #6 I am thinking about getting a NB XL2

For #1 and #4 I am thinking NB X2

Then I would need to get something with some real push for #2 (was thinking something with a control capability so I can just ramp it up while gaminng).

I have no idea what to get for #3.

What do you think?

Attachments

• Case Fans.jpg
    Case Fans.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
What fans are in 2,8,7 and 3?

2 = side panel?
8 = GPU exhuast?
7 = PSU exhuast?
3 = CPU Heatsink fan?

Its going to be tough to get more CFM than Exhaust (7 and 8 do not matter much if any in the big picture) and keeping within your db parms. You will have an entire fans CFM to overcome. Why do you acre about positive pressure anyway? Keep dust out of the cracks as that is about all its good for really.

2,3,8,7 are as you guessed.

I've heard that higher inside pressure is best for keeping components cooled and clean? Is that not true?

2,3,8,7 are as you guessed.

I've heard that higher inside pressure is best for keeping components cooled and clean? Is that not true?
Neg vs positive.. there is a HUGE thread on it with no answers and LOTS of arguments... positive is no better or worse than negative.

you dont need all those fans, just stick with 4,5,6,1
I would add #2 to be an intake, but yeah.. I wouldnt worry about the CFM (CFM /= pressure by the way). Grab a couple of Yate Loon High's and put them on a fan controller. Done. :thup:

Yeah, there are a lot of good theories discussed in that thread. I like your setup with all the exhaust fans. I subscribe to the negative pressure theory myself. I don't have that many exhaust fans, but the ones I use are the most powerful fans in my case. With negative pressure the only real drawback is needing to dust the inside more frequently if you can't seal it up well or don't have it in a relatively clean environment. The huge benefits of the negative pressure theory is by creating a small vacuum in the case there is much less chance of getting "hot spots" which are typically in corners or under/above/behind a piece of equipment that doesn't have a fan directly blowing on it. In a pressurized case, those "hot spots" maintain static pressure that in essence insulate or shield those places from almost any air movement.

Yeah, there are a lot of good theories discussed in that thread. I like your setup with all the exhaust fans. I subscribe to the negative pressure theory myself. I don't have that many exhaust fans, but the ones I use are the most powerful fans in my case. With negative pressure the only real drawback is needing to dust the inside more frequently if you can't seal it up well or don't have it in a relatively clean environment. The huge benefits of the negative pressure theory is by creating a small vacuum in the case there is much less chance of getting "hot spots" which are typically in corners or under/above/behind a piece of equipment that doesn't have a fan directly blowing on it. In a pressurized case, those "hot spots" maintain static pressure that in essence insulate or shield those places from almost any air movement.

And your data to support that negative is better?

Since your new, maybe this 383 post count thread can help.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595833&page=10

And your data to support that negative is better?

Since your new, maybe this 383 post count thread can help.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595833&page=10

Yes, that's the thread I was referring to and the one I assumed Earthdog was referencing as well. I didn't mean to step on any toes and didn't state which theory was "right or wrong", I just mentioned a couple of the differences and why I supported the negative pressure theory for my situation. I understand that there is a 2:1 ratio of people on here using a positive pressure setup and don't believe any of them are wrong for doing so. I do believe the most important thing to any of it is to start with some sort of a game plan and know what it is you are trying to achieve.

hmmm, interesting stuff for sure.
I will probably do negative as I dust my case often and it is far easier to do negative rather than positive.

I don't think you could say one is easier than the other, it really just depends on what cfm fans you get, where you put them and if they are blowing in or out. I only have 2 fans pointed out and they are my power supply fan and a 240cfm delta on the back. I also have 2 fans blowing in as well. They are 250mm and 1 is pointed right at the HDs on the front and the other is pretty much centered on the mobo and processor to get outside air to those components in the shortest distance possible. Since they are only 115cfm each, I have a slight amount of negative pressure created in the case due to the ~40ish cfm difference. All I would need to do to make it positive is put something smaller than the delta on the back or increase the CFM on either or both of the fans pointed in.

Back