• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BF3 update/install failing and going backward?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ninjacore

I reinstalled my OS yesterday. Then tried to put battlefield back on. From disk, it installs the ~11GB game in 20 minutes or so. After that portion completes, however, it begins the 5GB update download.

This is the part which is giving me problems. At random points during the update download, the completion percentage will start going backwards all the way to zero, then start again. The highest it has gotten is 15%. I've been trying to fix this all for about 24 hours now...

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game from disk. I uninstalled and tried to DL the whole game and update (~16GB) and it had the same problem.

I even reinstalled Windows again, disabled my firewall...

I am completely out of ideas and Googling has only yielded several threads dedicated to people with the same problem and getting no help from EA/Origin.

Any help would be appreciated. THANKS!

Just an update...

On a different PC I tried installing from disc and then downloading the update. Also tried downloading game and update together. Received same results as other computer (Download failed with error 262150:0)

Also tried installing the game from disc then copying the entire "Update" folder from a friend's working install. The result here was that a new "update" download was attempted when I launched the game. This update was ~900MB, but failed in the exact same manner as the others had.

I feel like I am quickly running out of options here. I might even have to resort to trying out Origin's customer service; an option I really was trying to avoid.

Anyone have any experience with this issue? I've been playing this game for a year and never had an issue with it before. I find it difficult to believe that Origin would roll out an update without testing even this most basic function...

Another update...

Spent the last two nights on the phone with EA Help. Spoke with at least 4 different "Tier 1" representatives. In order for them to bump you up to higher Tiers they first need to ensure that you've performed all of the troubleshooting steps at their tier, which is a bit frustrating.

So after attempting the install again with another fresh install of Windows and all drivers, I then went through the "manual uninstall" instructions for Origin. Basically you just delete the folders and the registry keys (which the rep I spoke with was convinced would persist even after a Windows wipe and re-install...?). Tried to install the game again after this and, of course, hit the same issue.

So I called back a fifth time last night, this time asking to be put through to a Tier 2 rep. After a scant 45 minutes of waiting (during which time I was ironically playing Madden), I was able to speak with someone who had better suggestions than what I had tried on my own from day 1.

After catching him up to speed on my situation, his first suggestion was taking a look at my install log files. I'm not at my desktop right now, but I think these are available at C:\Program Files(x86)\Origin\Logs? They're html files and are fairly human readable, though far too lengthy for me to suggest consumption. I uploaded them to my EA account and he took a look.

From there he wanted to do a UO Trace. Details here. Basically just a packet trace. He gave me what I can only assume was an EA install server address and we kicked off the trace. He was looking for instances of dropped packets. Sites in the trace with 0% or 100% loss were considered okay, but anything in between might indicate a problem. After 100 cycles, there did exist one such site with 3% loss.

The rep then got in contact with another rep and they decided that this was significant enough to progress my case up a few more levels. I was told my information and test results were being sent to "the Studio" (???) and that they would be in contact with me soon. Apparently this is a relatively new problem they've been seeing and haven't been able to get much data on it...

So, now I'm waiting again. Hoping dearly that they didn't just pull a fast one on me to get me off the phone.

Have you tried installing from a different network? maybe your home network is having issues?

As much as I've wanted to be furious with this, EA Help has been at least responsive. I don't personally like the Origin game manager, but I do understand that software bugs are inevitable.

I tried to do it from work, but our VPN didn't like it. Maybe I'll sit up at our neighborhood's clubhouse tonight and try there. I had thought of it, but it wasn't something I particularly wanted to do ;)

EDIT: Or maybe I'll see if I have a less security-conscious neighbor.. haha

Janus!!!!! Haha I tried from a different network and it downloaded successfully last night. So I guess I'm happy with that. Does that mean my network is going through a different set of routers/switches on its way to the EA servers or is there something wrong with my router or modem? I would like to figure that out some time, but for now I'm just glad to get back to shootin' folks.

Thanks for that suggestion. :)

I'm glad that did it. At home were you using wired or wireless? Did you try being plugged directly into the modem skipping the router? It's possible that the router needed a port to be opened or something, or your modem (or ISP) is dropping packets which would cause issues.

I was connected wirelessly to my router when it was failing. Wirelessly to another network when it succeeded. I will have to try plugging in to both the router and modem and installing. That will indeed give me a better idea as to what was going on.
Thanks again!

P.S. When did/will you graduate from OSU? CS major? I just finished last December. Go Bucks :)

I was connected wirelessly to my router when it was failing. Wirelessly to another network when it succeeded. I will have to try plugging in to both the router and modem and installing. That will indeed give me a better idea as to what was going on.
Thanks again!

P.S. When did/will you graduate from OSU? CS major? I just finished last December. Go Bucks :)

Graduated in 2008, MIS (management information systems) major in the Fisher Business School

@ Joe

I-O :)

Sure do miss Ohio. Thanks again for the help. I'll post back once I get a chance to attempt install via hardwire connection. Will probably do it on a laptop, however, since I'm fairly terrified of uninstalling after this ;)

might try changing the channel on your wireless, if too many networks are in the area and using the same channel you could have connection issues.

Back