• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System Upgrade.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

.:PTB73:.

Registered
Hello All,
I'm getting ready to upgrade a few components in my current system (specs below) & just wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

I'm wanting to upgrade to an SSD, I'll be caped at 300 MB/s SATA II correct?
The 680i SLI doesn't support AHCI mode, will I run into any issues with this & will TRIM still work as it should threw Win 7?

I'm also going to be upgrading the ram with 4GB of Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800MHz (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Model KHX6400D2LLK2/2GN, is 4GB enough for gaming?
Thanks All, Phil B.
Current System Specs:
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922
Motherboard: EVGA 680i SLI A2 122-CK-NF68
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40GHz
Graphics Card: EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
Hard Drive: Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB SATA 6 Gb/s 32MB Cache16MB Cache
RAM: OCZ 2x512 & 2x1GB Gold GX XTC PC2-6400.
Power Supply: CORSAIR TX650W

Budget? Might be better off with a new CPU, 775 is sort of dead now. If you can't, definitely get a aftermarket heatsink and OC the crap out of it.

4GB of memory should be fine for gaming.

But yeah, if you want to play current games, I would probably hold out on the SSD and upgrade your motherboard/CPU/GPU first.

Well at least he has a nice, case/psu/win7 os to start with Knufire same here as you said.

TRIM works in IDE/AHCI mode so no worries there, but you will be capped on that platform, absolutely.

Personally, I would upgrade the entire platform. You can upgrade to a Q9450 and overclock it, but that is half the cost of a full upgrade really.

You should really be starting your own thread instead of hijacking someone elses... ;)

But to answer: Looks ok to me.. a couple things I would change...

1. Sabertooth = Gimmicky. Its a solid board, but you can have one just as good for $100 less (namely Asrock Z77 Extreme 4). That board is costly for not much reason.
2. Why dominator platinum? If just for looks, ok, I can get that...Really, 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz will be fine.
3. No idea about that SSD drive. Unless you have done your reading, you may want to stick with the majors (Crucial M4, Vertex 4, Samsung 8 series, Intel 5 series).
4. Personally, Id get rid of those 4870x2's already and get something that uses a lot less power and is a lot less of a hassle to deal with. Are you on a 1920x1200 or less monitor? A single 680 or 7970 would be plenty there.

Outside of that, you would want to create a thread for your own build. :)

If its a Intel CPU or Mobo just start your own Thread crisis88m do not be put off OK. Or start yours in a new one?

Back