• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Headset, why and how much does it matter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
So i have been wanting to get a decent headset latly, since i have been gaming a lot more and i also have a gf that dors home work, it would be nice to give her peace anf also my neighbors ofcourse.

Now, i do enjoy great sound, and surround is preffered, but i dont need the very best on the market. I have been looking at some Creative sound blaster Tactic 3d rage, but will i notice the fact that it has 7.1 dolby vs 5.1 or even stereo?
I have a microsoft hd webcam with a super mic in it, so should i get headphones without mic? Wireless vs cable? Whats good to know?

i love my logitech G930's might want to take a look at them.
and audiophile will tell you to use separate headphones/mic but personally that has always been a pain for me or should i say for the people who want to hear me in game, they always complained about fan/heater/wind/other people talking in the house,noise.

I tried quite a few of those 5.1/7.1 headsets and frankly they all have the same issues :

1) In order to have those multiple drivers, they use small, usually low quality, drivers (compared to similarly priced stereo headphones/headsets)

2) Almost all of them (Razer Tiamat is an exception) use a usb connection which relies on the cheapest usb audio controller they could find and it's often paired with terrible software. This leads to poor sound quality and frequent sound loss, crackles & pops, random white noise, etc. when there's too much going on the USB bus.

Wireless headphones/headset also have the same issues with the added latency due to the wireless connection and there are additional sources of problems like interference and the battery dying at the worst possible time. Some people really like them because they are not tied down but the added bulk for the battery and the various issues just don't seem worth it for me, it's really hard to beat a good old copper wire :p.

A good soundcard will be able to simulate surround sound with a stereo headset, I was skeptical at first but it does work well, almost as good as a real 5.1/7.1 system. But that's something that varies a bit so YMMV.

While it's true most audiophiles would recommend a seperate headphone and microphone because the headphones are usually of better quality, there are a few exceptions like the Sennheiser PCxxx series.

EDIT1 :
Just so we're clear, I'm not pushing this particular headset, it's a very personal decision, I'm just explaining my own experience. Like I say below, read reviews, try to listen to a few pairs if you have good retailers or friends with decent equipment near you.
/EDIT1

I use a PC360 headset and I really like it.

The microphone is excellent, the people I play with say that I'm really clear in vent with no background noise, the microphone has a built-in switch so when it's in its upward position, it's electrically disconnected, much easier to deal with than those obscure mute buttons I've seen on other headsets like the Razer Carcarias (no labels, you're always guessing whether the mic is on or off, but in general it's a pretty decent headset for the price).

The sound quality is also excellent, I've heard details I've never heard before with my carcarias or my logitech z-680 (9-10 years old 5.1 system). From what I've read, it compares to the HD55x series and the price difference is usually pretty small. As a comparaison, I got mine on sale for about $190, regular price is closer to $300 and the HD558 are around $280. So worst case, you're talking about a $20 extra for a great microphone, definitely something to keep in mind.

Keep in mind that if you go for a decent headphone/headset (not the 5.1/7.1 sets, wireless or simply USB based) you'll need a good soundcard. It doesn't mean you can't use it with onboard but it's not gonna be the same (limited or no surround virtualization, minimum quality DAC/amplifiers).

If you can find a local store to try them on, actually listen to them. It's even better, I'm not that lucky because I'm in the middle of nowhere so I had to rely on reviews, general logic and past experience (a few $100s worth of audio equipment sitting unused because of bad sound quality, bad build quality or compatibility/connection issues like the usb audio devices).

A good starting point is :
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad...ted-10-16-12-ps3-bd-playback-in-dolby-digital

EDIT1 :
Decide what is important for you, figure out what you will use it for.
-Do you prefer something that is bass-heavy or more balanced?
-Open-ear (you can hear everything around you, generally gives better sound stage for positioning, better ventilation in case you tend to sweat a lot) or closed (you isolate yourself from the outside world, sound quality is sometimes a bit better because you only hear the sound produced by the headphones but positioning generally isn't as good)?
-Do you need a microphone or not?
-Are they comfortable? Do they fit my ears? (Some headphones/headsets apply some pressure on both ears to ensure a better seal, it can be uncomfortable if you are not used to it)
-Do I prefer a brand over another?

And finally the most important question:
-What is my budget for these headphones/headset (and possibly the soundcard to drive it)?

Those are only a few sample questions you have to consider while choosing a headphone/headset.

Good luck and keep us updated on your process, maybe we can help a bit more.

Last edited:
Wow, that was a alot og thibgs to soak up. My budget is cheap but good, i dont need the best sound in the world. My current headphones are cheap plastic tiny ones with a mic, i broke the audio cable, but they were fine until then, just not super comfy. I dont need the mic, the one in my mircosoft webcam pickd up sound great, never had a complaint. I will be using the onboard ac97 on my motherboard, i dont need insane quality, i would like to be closed off from the outside world while using headphones. I am really interrested in knowing how they make 7.1 with only 1 jack, normally on my htpc i use the optical to get 5.1 dolby.

Dont hold back with adding links to the thread :)

EDIT:
I am looking for good bass.

I been looking at Sennheiser HD 201

Last edited:
Wow, that was a alot og thibgs to soak up.
Yup, audio is a slightly complex world and it gets worse when your budget is a bit bigger and you're looking for the best.

My budget is cheap but good, i dont need the best sound in the world. My current headphones are cheap plastic tiny ones with a mic, i broke the audio cable, but they were fine until then, just not super comfy. I dont need the mic, the one in my mircosoft webcam pickd up sound great, never had a complaint. I will be using the onboard ac97 on my motherboard, i dont need insane quality, i would like to be closed off from the outside world while using headphones.

Well it looks like you figured out a few of the criterias already, check the link I posted before, focus on the first 2 categories (the cheapest) there are some great options in there for you.

I am really interrested in knowing how they make 7.1 with only 1 jack, normally on my htpc i use the optical to get 5.1 dolby.

Dont hold back with adding links to the thread :)

If your talking about the virtual surround then it modulates the sound by combining the different channels and applying filters to get the right phase/volume, it tricks the ear into thinking the sound is coming from a specific point. As I said, I was skeptical but it does work. Unfortunately you need a sound card that supports Dolby Headphone (or the equivalent in DTS or a custom solution like creative) to enable that, otherwise you will only have good old stereo (nothing wrong with that, but the positioning will not be as accurate).

Your AC97 onboard solution will not support DolbyHeadphone.

EDIT:
I am looking for good bass.

I been looking at Sennheiser HD 201

Sennheiser in general is a good brand, I'm not familiar with that specific model but I don't think you can go wrong with them. As for bass, check some reviews because as far as I can tell, Sennheiser tend to be a bit weaker on the bass than other manufacturers favoring instead a balanced and clearer sound.

Yup, audio is a slightly complex world and it gets worse when your budget is a bit bigger and you're looking for the best.

Well it looks like you figured out a few of the criterias already, check the link I posted before, focus on the first 2 categories (the cheapest) there are some great options in there for you.

If your talking about the virtual surround then it modulates the sound by combining the different channels and applying filters to get the right phase/volume, it tricks the ear into thinking the sound is coming from a specific point. As I said, I was skeptical but it does work. Unfortunately you need a sound card that supports Dolby Headphone (or the equivalent in DTS or a custom solution like creative) to enable that, otherwise you will only have good old stereo (nothing wrong with that, but the positioning will not be as accurate).

Your AC97 onboard solution will not support DolbyHeadphone.

Sennheiser in general is a good brand, I'm not familiar with that specific model but I don't think you can go wrong with them. As for bass, check some reviews because as far as I can tell, Sennheiser tend to be a bit weaker on the bass than other manufacturers favoring instead a balanced and clearer sound.

I thank you for your help, i will need later on when i get a bigger budget.

I found a set of Sony MDR-NC60 barely used, and got a them at a good price. Its not the latest stuff, but only cost me about 20% of its original new price (Around 200$ in US), and you cant even see its been used. So im alright with that, the noise cancel on them it an awesome feature. :)

Last edited:
I thank you for your help, i will need later on when i get a bigger budget.

I found a set of Sony MDR-NC60 barely used, and got a them at a good price. Its not the latest stuff, but only cost me about 20% of its original new price (Around 200$ in US), and you cant even see its been used. So im alright with that, the noise cancel on them it an awesome feature. :)

did you really need the noise canceling though?

for $160 you could've bought something much better, like audio technica m50+xonar dg, or CAL! + x-fi titanium + fiio e10, or 280hd+xonar dg, or any other number of headphone+sound card combos for under $160

did you really need the noise canceling though?

for $160 you could've bought something much better, like audio technica m50+xonar dg, or CAL! + x-fi titanium + fiio e10, or 280hd+xonar dg, or any other number of headphone+sound card combos for under $160

The original price was $200, he got it for about 20% of it so $40, not a bad deal if he's happy with it.

The original price was $200, he got it for about 20% of it so $40, not a bad deal if he's happy with it.

I am happy with them, and can use them when I travel.

The price I think is more then fair, like I said they were 200$ NEW, but that is in dollars and in US, due to taxes and such we are closer to a 300$ price tag here in Denmark, which makes 45$ bucks a good price.

They are like new, i havnt found any dirt on them, not a single scratch, tear or anything in the leader. They look new, and was complete set with carrier box, and all the extra plugs that follow.

So yes im happy, so happy im going to keep looking for a headset for my PC, and keep these for school and iphone use.:thup:

IMG_0622_big_thumb.JPG

IMG_0624_big_thumb.JPG

IMG_0625_big_thumb.JPG

IMG_0626_big_thumb.JPG

Last edited:
check the front page for some of the reviews i've done of surround-sound headsets. The most recent has an option for either analog or digital (the 3.5mm surround setup or usb setup).

It will give you an idea of what a range of products will do, from about $35 to $100 in price.

Back