• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 Rating on Rampage IV Extreme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ad77

Registered
Just curious if anyone is already using windows 8 and see the windows index rating

On windows 7, all my parameters were 7.9 except the processor that was 7.8...as you know the maximum for each rating is 7.9

However, windows 8 maximum for each rating is 9.9.
but I am suprised that none of my hardware came close

memory : 8.4
processor: 8.4
hard disk: 8.1
graphics(both) : 8.1

My built:

Case: Cossair Obsidian 800D full tower
PSU: Cossair 1200 Watt 80 PLUS® Platinum Certified(digital)
memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB kit -DDR3 2133
HDD: two Intel 240GB SSD 520 series (RAID 0)
CPU: 3930K
Cooler: Cossair H100
MOBO: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
GPU: ASUS Geforce GTX 680 DC2-GD5
ODD1: ASUS BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS 12X Blu-ray Internal Burner
ODD2: Samsung Blu-Ray Combo Internal 12XReadable
MONITOR: three dell 2412 ultrashap
FP1: NZXT Sentry LX High Performance Fan Controller
FP2: Atech Flash Pro-57U USB 3.0 True SuperSpeed Internal Flash Card
RAM Disk: 16GB created from 64GB memory(48GB memory, 16GB ram disk)
USE: Memory intensive programming like MATLAB, C++, C#, 3D image processing, some Gaming

Although, I have not overcloked or use XMP.... all the memory are still running at 1333MHz and the CPU is still at 3.2 to 3.8MHz (default of ASUS BIOS), the GPU is still default from ASUS

but was at least suprise that the hard disk and GPU did not reach at least 9.0 immediately.

BTW, windows 8 is fantastic, all hardware where in place before installing windows 8 , and I was not prompted for raid driver or any driver.... this was a clean install....All drivers for the hardwares were automatically installed by windows 8 (make sure u are connected to internet using ethernet cable, before installing), including bluetooth 4.0 dongle ,and wireless USB

I will just like to know what others are getting when u guys starts installing windows 8

I don't have the hardware or operating system you are looking for, but those numbers are literally meaningless. A benchmark is a test that functions in a known, predictable, and repeatable way. The Windows "benchmark" doesn't really meet any of those. They have not released information on how the tests are done and the end results vary wildly.

You'd be much better off running the normal benchmarking programs, such as SuperPi, 3DMark, Heaven, etc.

There is no difference in spending time looking at the Windows Index Rating or asking a computer-illiterate person at school about which computer hardware to buy.

Windows Index Rating's purpose is to get you to go out and buy hardware you most likely do not need.

Ask questions on forums like this one but do not use Windows Index Rating as an indicator of what you already have. It is a misleading marketing tool from which you need to stay away from.
Tell your friends & cousins too. ;)

There is no difference in spending time looking at the Windows Index Rating or asking a computer-illiterate person at school about which computer hardware to buy.

Windows Index Rating's purpose is to get you to go out and buy hardware you most likely do not need.

Ask questions on forums like this one but do not use Windows Index Rating as an indicator of what you already have. It is a misleading marketing tool from which you need to stay away from.
Tell your friends & cousins too. ;)

hmm... Microsoft have generally not been in the business of selling hardware, I wonder what benefit they will get from people buying hardware or not.
they might not have a well developed software to handle this ratings, but I don't seen any motive for them to mislead people.

Majority of people do not build from scratch. They buy new "computers" which come with new copies of Windows OS, which percentage-wise cost disproportionately more than other hardware parts of newly purchased "computers". ;)

But without getting into speculation on motives, it is not an accurate measurement of your system's performance and should not be used under any circumstances as a hardware buying guide.

There is no disagreement on that on forums such as this one.

If you look at the rig in my sig, it is a Core i7-3930k at 4.5ghz with dual 7970's. I get a 7.0 Windows rating, the same computer at stock settings sitting 4 feet away gets 7.8, a third exactly same machine running stock with one 7970 gets a 7.9. It is a completely useless, meaningless test.

Back