• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dedicated physx on crossfire system.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nephilim

Hello,
So Ive been pretty happy with my system/ CF setup but with some games and those intense physx situations things still get choppy. I have a gt 630 lying around and was wondering if it would be possible to use that for dedicated physx. Wasnt sure how old of a card you had to use since physx on an amd system is not supported officially.

Also, am I going to be in for more trouble than its worth? I dont mind going through a lot of work as long as it will actually be functional for all physx games.

(Borderlands 2, Alice, Mirrors edge , etc.)

Yes its possible to configure a dedicated PhysX card in an AMD system, however, the drivers tend to fight eachother. Also an underpowered PhysX card can actually hurt performance.

Best is to have older nvidia card ( 8000/9000 or gtx200 series ) if you want to run physx as modded drivers are almost only up to 285.xx version so you can have problems with 600 series cards.
I have no problems to run GF8800 GT or GTX275 as physx card while main card is HD7970.
On the other hand most games or don't have physx or you can run physics calculations on ATI card or cpu ( direct compute etc ). It's not the same but efect is similar.

Best is to have older nvidia card ( 8000/9000 or gtx200 series ) if you want to run physx as modded drivers are almost only up to 285.xx version so you can have problems with 600 series cards.
I have no problems to run GF8800 GT or GTX275 as physx card while main card is HD7970.
On the other hand most games or don't have physx or you can run physics calculations on ATI card or cpu ( direct compute etc ). It's not the same but efect is similar.

Actually, and this is the only way I got things working on borderlands 2 with my GT 430, you can use latest physx driver and video driver
306.97 im using right now.
the Hibridize mod makes this work. Older drivers were fine for me on games like Alice but BL2 was a pain :X

http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/...with-latest-physx-and-geforce-285-solved.html

I've been looking into getting an older Nvidia card for physx myself.

If I find a GTS/X 200 series for cheap (like Woomack said), I'll probably pick it up to mess around with.

Do some google searches, there are a lot of guides that look easy on how to get a physx card setup on an AMD system.

It looks to me like a lot of people that do it don't have any major problems, and that the people that tell you to stay away from it don't say anything about having tried it themselves.

I've been looking into getting an older Nvidia card for physx myself.

If I find a GTS/X 200 series for cheap (like Woomack said), I'll probably pick it up to mess around with.

Do some google searches, there are a lot of guides that look easy on how to get a physx card setup on an AMD system.

It looks to me like a lot of people that do it don't have any major problems, and that the people that tell you to stay away from it don't say anything about having tried it themselves.

It is easy, though the info on the net is scattered so it sill took me awhile to get mine running fully. Beyond the mod each specific game will have its own qwirk as to what you have to do for it, it may be deleting different physx.dll's to force it to the gpu or using a modified .dll, etc. But the only game that was problematic was BL2 and it seems Im not the only one who had to work to get it going.
A cool setup though, I can brag about having 3 gpus in my case :rofl:
and dem fluid physics man.

Back