• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

660ti vs 680 whats the difference ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RogueRebel

Registered
My friend recommends the 660ti over the 680 and claims the 680 is over kill.

My friend said:

Thats why I never go over the X60 versions of cards. You end up paying exponentially more for small improvements.
The 680 works better under load, but you couldn't stress out a 660 enough to matter.

Is the 680 more power effcient than the 660ti by much ?

I mentioned over clocking and he thinks this ( If you ever feel the need to overclock, get a new card. the hassle is not worth the risk)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5699/n...-680-review/10
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6159/t...0-ti-review/10
http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

I will be doing video editing so that has to factor into the choice between cards.
will the 680 offer anything more in terms of faster video editing ?
well anything significant

Last edited:
A GTX680 is a MUCH more powerful card than the 660ti. The 680 is a high end card targeted for gamers who want the best single GPU card (I don't really want to get into a GTX680 vs 7970 argument), whereas a 660ti is a midrange card. Power efficiency is largely irrelevant with modern cards under light loads, since they automatically down clock and under volt themselves under light loads to save power. Obviously under a heavy load the 680 will use much more power than a 660ti.

1. What are the specs of the rest of your system?
2. Do you plan on gaming, and if so, what sort of games do you intend to play?
3. What resolution is your monitor?

A GTX680 is a MUCH more powerful card than the 660ti. The 680 is a high end card targeted for gamers who want the best single GPU card (I don't really want to get into a GTX680 vs 7970 argument), whereas a 660ti is a midrange card. Power efficiency is largely irrelevant with modern cards under light loads, since they automatically down clock and under volt themselves under light loads to save power. Obviously under a heavy load the 680 will use much more power than a 660ti.

1. What are the specs of the rest of your system?
2. Do you plan on gaming, and if so, what sort of games do you intend to play?
3. What resolution is your monitor?

the specs:

Intel Core i7-3770 3.40GHz (Ivybridge)
Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
16 GBs of corsair vengence ram.

Gaming and video editing , Games I plan to play are Arma 3 , Day Z, battlefield 3, Shogun 2 and fall of the samurai, Rome 2 when released.
I play alot of demanding games.

1920 x 1080 (1 moniter)

The video editing will be starting later on , but I am mainly buying for gaming , while I do have to keep video editing in mind.
my brother is the one deciding on which editing program we use.
The PC parts , I will be ordering very soon.

How about this ?

YOUR BASKET
1 x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 Windforce 3X 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £319.99
Total : £330.79 (includes shipping : £9.00).

Last edited:
A GTX670 would be ideal because it's quite close in performance to a GTX680, while being significantly cheaper at the same time. The extra performance of the GTX680 does not justify the extra cost incurred. The GTX670 you linked to is exactly the one I would buy if I were looking for a new high end card. That card will be very good at 1080p and should easily max out any current game.

Back