• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

-Best bang for your buck SSD-

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amddork

Registered
With the price of SSDs falling more and more people are buying them. There is a lot articles on the whole subject of "Bang for buck", but I thought it would be nice to see some RL results. So if everyone would use crystal mark to do this, just to keep software out of the equation. Post your results, what SSD it is, and how much you purchased it for and where you got it. Thanks in advance for the input guys.

Kingston HyperX3k 240gb $159.99-Newegg

KingstonHyperX3k.jpg

As you can see this isn't a good drive for moving files back and forth, but once they are on the drive the read speeds are excellent.

AFAIK, best bang/buck right now is probably the Agility 4.

Btw, that's a Sandforce drive, and Sandforce drives don't do so well with CrystalDiskMark, which uses mostly incompressible data. You typically only reach rated speeds of a Sandforce SSD (OCZ ___ 3 series, Corsair Force 3/GT, Kingston HyperX, Mushkin Callisto, ADATA XPG, and others) with ATTO Disk Benchmark.

Maybe just me then but I think the Sammy 840 is the best bang per dollar for the performance. Keep in mind that the 840 come with either TLC or Mlc. The Mlc is much faster,while the TLC is cheaper on a cost per gb. The TLC is also a slower on writes big time vs the Mlc drive.

vertex 4 are incredible drive, esp when you can get them at $180 price point for 256gb. there are places where read speed suffer a bit, but the drives just fly. I have had revodrives, sandforce, crucial and the vertex/agility4 drives. Give me the vertex4 out of what I have seen

here is a series of benches for vertex4-256, vertex4-128 and corsiar force gt -120. Top row is CDM incompressible, middle row is CDM compressible and bottom row is AS-SSD imcompressible. Left is vertex4-256, middle row is vertex4-128 and right row is corsair force gt-120. the vertex4-256 is the boot drive and the vertex4-128 and corsair force drives were hotswapped to facilitate having sata6g capability for all drives. All drives are in a dirty state, but I did run the trim command on the force gt drive as it needed it.

Attachments

• vertex-corsair-ssds.jpg
    vertex-corsair-ssds.jpg
    531.2 KB · Views: 530
Back