• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3930K hole?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ivy

After using Google, and reading 1000 answers from people who simply had zero knowledge, i hope i finally get a answer with some knowledge.

Why is there a hole on the IHS? Is the CPU soldered or simply cheap TIM?

That will matter because i probably will get temperature issues inside a mATX case. Intel CPUs in theory are dreamwork but unfortunately Intel is trying to save bucks and is taking into account that theyr CPUs are suffering and in some case decreased quality (thermal behaviour is a quality matter).

What is an IHS? Excuse my ignorance.

I think he is referring to the hole you see on the CPU heat spreader as shown in the pic below. It's that way on all 2011 CPU's.

As far as why it is there, well this link sheds some light on it.

It's just a result of the manufacturing process to allow the gasses to escape while the epoxy/solder is applied.

Attachments

• 107278-core-i7-3820.png
    107278-core-i7-3820.png
    302.9 KB · Views: 609
SB-E are soldered.
The hole, I'm guessing, is to let air out during IHS installation. The IHS is siliconed in place and then heated for the solder, if there wasn't a vent the IHS would tend to lift off the cores due to air expanding under it.

As far as i know the soldered Nehalem E types had some sort of opening at the IHS but it was not a hole, its some entry at the edge. So, to some extend there can be seen if a CPU is soldered or not because it may have a opening.

The opening at the edge (of the IHS) is better stuff because there wont be thermal grease attached at that location. In term there is a hole, it may be filled up a bit. Its not the perfect solution.

The 3570K is not having any sort of opening, which is kinda not surprising because its a TIM.

As far as i know the soldered Nehalem E types had some sort of opening at the IHS but it was not a hole, its some entry at the edge. So, to some extend there can be seen if a CPU is soldered or not because it may have a opening.

The opening at the edge (of the IHS) is better stuff because there wont be thermal grease attached at that location. In term there is a hole, it may be filled up a bit. Its not the perfect solution.

The 3570K is not having any sort of opening, which is kinda not surprising because its a TIM.

You also have to consider that the actual 2011 chip is much larger so that might be why they put a hole instead of an opening on the side. I'm sure that it is soldered, they only started using an epoxy again with ivy bridge cpu's.

I'm pretty sure Intel's been doing that for a long time. I got bored last night and delidded an old Celeron D I had from an "ancient" computer (2003) and it had that same hole.

Back