• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help my h100 wont fit!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sparten368

Registered
i have purchased my first build components recently and i have run into and issue.
when trying to mount my rad on the top of my case i come am unable to because the ram is sticking out to far preventing the radiator from lining up with the holes.

i have the phantom 410 full tower gaming case so i can install the rad without removing the top fans.
i really dont think i can return the RAM considering i got it a sale price.
any suggestions even if it requires drilling?

sorry could not upload pics

Well, we need pics so we can help you with some options.

I've seen pics with the case that has a rad + fans inside the case. So its doable.

Or you can install the rad+fan first, then install your RAM after.

Well, we need pics so we can help you with some options.

I've seen pics with the case that has a rad + fans inside the case. So its doable.

Or you can install the rad+fan first, then install your RAM after.

i have attached two photos i hope they help

Attachments

• photo 3.jpeg
    photo 3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 258
  • photo 2.jpeg
    photo 2.jpeg
    837 KB · Views: 205
also @Ironsmack
i was thinking. maybe purchase another 200mm fan and just mount the radiator without its supplied fans attached?
or would that not be enough cooling?
i currently have a fan from the front and 2 side fans pulling in cold air and the top two either 200mm or 120 mm fans pulling in hot air from the rad. Also one back fan pushing air out of the case along with about 6 open PCI slots.

thanks and sorry for my grammar (ive had a long day)

Well, what happens if you fit the rad+fan w/o the RAM installed? Then install the RAM after?

Is there space when you put the RAM last? Or you cant even fit it?

About the fans, you can. But the problem i noticed about 140mm+ fans - they seem to lack any static pressure to push/pull air through the rads.

One thing i can suggest is - again, install the rad inside the case. Then install the fans (drawing air from the) outside.

I'd pop the top off and put the rad in the open area, reading a few quick reviews that will work. The fans would go below the metal aprt of the case.

What I read is that's how it was designed. So there isn't enough room how you want to do it.

Use the H100 fans and put the rad up top, pop the top off. Fans go under the rad

Last edited:
I'd pop the top off and put the rad in the open area, reading a few quick reviews that will work. The fans would go below the metal aprt of the case.

What I read is that's how it was designed. So there isn't enough room how you want to do it.

Use the H100 fans and put the rad up top, pop the top off. Fans go under the rad

so what your saying is take off the top of the case and leav it off?
that could work but id like to have the top on.
what i am thinking of doing is having 2 200mm fans push in air through the rad and into the case and not having any fans attached to the rad. just the rad mounted on stilts to the top of the case. then the 200mm fans pulling air in through the fans. then a back fan and about 6 open PCI slots push out the hot air. also some other side fans pulling in cold air to the case.
will this be enough air flow for the rad considering there is a bit of a gap of no fan near the center of the rad?
sorry for the long and repetive response.

The rad should fit on the top under the cover. Remove the cover and measure.

200mm fans do not have the static pressure that will push or pull through the rad. The rad has fins that block airflow. You haven't heard of that before, but it's important for watercooling. And I don't think you mean 200mm fans. There are no mounting holes on the top of your case and the holes are 120 or 140mm big.

And a gap between the rad and fans will pull air from the easiest point, not the rad. That's basic physics.

Open the case top, measure and see if it fits like I said. Probably will. And the top will fit back on. It's a thinnnn H100 rad, should be fine.

The rad should fit on the top under the cover. Remove the cover and measure.

200mm fans do not have the static pressure that will push or pull through the rad. The rad has fins that block airflow. You haven't heard of that before, but it's important for watercooling. And I don't think you mean 200mm fans. There are no mounting holes on the top of your case and the holes are 120 or 140mm big.

And a gap between the rad and fans will pull air from the easiest point, not the rad. That's basic physics.

Open the case top, measure and see if it fits like I said. Probably will. And the top will fit back on. It's a thinnnn H100 rad, should be fine.

ok we are talking about the right case? right?
phantom 410 full tower case with double 200mm fans at the top?
and what your saying is that 200mm fans wont do the trick?

look at this pic:http://www.nzxt.com/new/images/_upload/product_gallery/_MG_8893.jpg

so are the double 200mm fans enough and better air flow for the rad or should i have the double 120mm fans and remove the 200mm one?
btw thanks for your time.

I can't see where it's 200mm on top.

I refer you to this review.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/NZXT-Phantom-410-Case-Review/1459/3

Don't matter, 200mm fans just won't work on an H100 due to the higher FPI on the rad.

LOL, sparten, look at the fans against the rad and how they work with airflow in the pic ypu posted. The pic is a rig someone built, but it's wrong. That rad will get less than 1/2 the airflow from the fans. It's physics.

I can't see where it's 200mm on top.

I refer you to this review.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/NZXT-Phantom-410-Case-Review/1459/3

Don't matter, 200mm fans just won't work on an H100 due to the higher FPI on the rad.

LOL, sparten, look at the fans against the rad and how they work with airflow in the pic ypu posted. The pic is a rig someone built, but it's wrong. That rad will get less than 1/2 the airflow from the fans. It's physics.

yea your looking at the wrong case mate. i think ill remove the 200mm fans put in the rad with the 120mm fans attached in and have it pull or push in air from there.
also what would be better?
fans on top of rad pushing in air or fans beneath the rad pulling in air?
thanks for the help.

Since the rad will be on the top and the fans at the bottom, it will be push for the fans. If the rad is at the bottom and the fans up top, then the fans will be in pull.

This is your case?
410 full tower gaming case

Please supply the fan size and holes availible on the top of the case I guess, maybe I am confused.

A link would work good, do what you can. It's easy. Goggle and 10 min has tons of info.

If you can't then I have the right case. Up to you.

Since the rad will be on the top and the fans at the bottom, it will be push for the fans. If the rad is at the bottom and the fans up top, then the fans will be in pull.

This is your case?
410 full tower gaming case

Please supply the fan size and holes availible on the top of the case I guess, maybe I am confused.

A link would work good, do what you can. It's easy. Goggle and 10 min has tons of info.

If you can't then I have the right case. Up to you.

ok thanks.
i am just wondering though is push or pull better or does it not matter?
the case is a full tower case with holes for 200m fans + it has holes for rad attachment directly to the case

PIC
http://www.nzxt.com/new/images/_upload/product_gallery/DSC_0629_1.jpg
ok so look at this and you see the fan and the screen. you can remove them. then you can mount the rad up there attached to the case through double holes at the top.

Actual case:
http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/crafted_series/phantom

Push/pull depends on lots of factors. The science at Martinsliquidlab.org and just years of experiance reading 1000's of post say, in pull with low RPM, it's good. High 38mm thick 2000++ rpm fans push can be better. And many other places once you been at it for years will bear it out. Your new, you miss out on the 'ol guy kinda knowing thing. You'll be there someday, and 'ol guy will be gone. You can replace him.

I think your right on the case. I see many pics with 120 rad fans on the case with my searches. None with 200 mm fans except that total fail setup. The setup I posted shows NO 200 mm on top. Guss the case changed I think or it's whacked, to many case revisions or poor reviews.

Again. Rad on top or rad on bottom with fans on the other side. Push or pull will make little diff. Push on the bottom will make it a bit quieter. Ohh get rid of the 200mm fans unless you have a 200mm rad, you don't.

You have plenty of info to beat your PC now, go to it.....

Conumdrums right .... the 200mm fans would really suck with the H100. I just took a look at the NZXT site and it doesn't say if there is the propper screw patterns for 2 x 120mm fans, you might want to check. If you really want to get all the preformace out of your H100 a little moding will be necesarry .... I think. Pop off the old 200mm fans and get a template for the propper fan placment and drill some holes, if there already are none .... where they need to be then install the H100.

ok. thank you guys for the help.
i ended up mounting the rad to the top of the case with fans on the bottom of the rad and set up to pull air from outside of the top of the case.
basically
top of case->rad->fan->inside case.
also the back of the case pushes out air with on 120mm fan.
and the front pushes in air with a 120mm fan. (as well as 2x120mm side fans)

Good for you, glad you decided to pop the top.

But, you have a front fan as an intake? The side fans as an intake? And the rad as intake? Physics matter.

You only have ONE 120mm to pull all that out? Your rad will be starved for air, you have too many intake fans. You want airflow, it's PHYSICS common sense.

Please run temp tests with the fans on the rad as intake. Then make the rad fans exhaust and run again. And let us know. You didn't buy the H100 to make it a non-cooling brick.

is the air from inside the case to hot to go through the rad. even if i have 1 front 120mm intake, 2 side 120mm intakes, and possibly a 200mm side intake? should i make it so rad intakes from outside and front and back fans push out and side fans pull in? what would be the best fan set up

For the most cooling yes you want cool outside room air into the case. A well ventilated case can have 1-2C warmer air exausting out the back and top. So in lab situations your perfectly correct. In the practical world it's different. If you have no airflow through the rad (like yours is set up) then how can the air remove heat from the rad fins? You need airflow. You have made a big box full of air and no where to go. You are very airflow imbalanced, you must have good airflow.

Youe more than welcome to measure temps. You can also perform the tests I suggest to show you what is right/wrong.

Put the rad in exhaust to pull hot air out of the case. Problem solved. Reverse the fans.

Back