• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with a HHD Velociraptor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Betao

Registered
S!

I´m having strong lags in IL2 1946 standard. Checking thebrand new Velociraptor with HDTune there are strong down spikes even to 60MB as low so it might be a problem going on. Any ideas? Thanks,

Can you post a screenshot of HDTune please? List system specs... IL2 1946 appears to be a game... when it 'lags' do you see HDD activity light on at the time? How do you know the HDD is causing this 'lag' you describe?

Thanks for the prompt reply. Later I can have access to the rig in question and will post HDTune screenshots. I´ve built this "new" old PC with a X48 mobo, Win XP 32, Pentium 4 660, 8800 Ultra, 4GB RAM, Corsair 850W and the Velociraptor as the sole HDD not partioned. Yes, IL2 is a WWII flight combat simulator. I haven´t notice the hdd led and got suspicious about this drive because the heavy spikes in the benchmark. Overall the rig is working properly.

The drive may be on its way out...I would try to get all the data you need off that drive and put it on another that doesnt look like its on the way out.

In HDTune, what does the Health tab say? The benchmark isn't useful in diagnosing disk failure unless it is about two minutes from dying.

It is probably actively trying to reallocate a bad sector(s). Not a problem if the are enough empty sectors to reallocate it to and the sector is not in use, reading smart data may be able to tell you if there are allready a lot of reallocated sectors. I would run "chkdsk drive letter: /v /x /r" from the command prompt and let it do it's buisness over night in case the data is always in use, it will probably stall when it gets to the bad sector for a long time but can usually fix this given enough time.

Last edited:
Back