• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Received My FX 8350 today 1st push on it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
Received it today so far I like it. Though what is with the temp readings, I know that idle temps are off on these but under load with 1.48v 48c? I'm hoping they are correct, using AIDA64 they spiked to 48 on a couple of cores and then stayed around 41c for most of the 2 hr. Anyhow, I have it at 4.6 right now, I'm going to try and push on it some more in the morning. Just an FYI I like to set the CPU-V at a level and then push the CPU higher until it becomes unstable, instead of upping the OC then adding v core when it crashes. Hence the 1.48, it's actually set at 1.45 manually but LLC and everything else is set to extreme.

Attachments

• aida 64 8350 2hr 4.6.PNG
    aida 64 8350 2hr 4.6.PNG
    25.1 KB · Views: 646
  • 8350 hwm 4.6.PNG
    8350 hwm 4.6.PNG
    29.2 KB · Views: 785
  • cpu-z 8350 4.6.PNG
    cpu-z 8350 4.6.PNG
    45.7 KB · Views: 543
Ah i see, looking forward to what clocks you can get it to stable :)

PS: have you installed latest BIOS?

Didn't know that Beep, I'll have to see what it does on Prime. Thanks.

I ran another 2 hours of Aida64 at 4.7 temps stayed the same as above pics. Taking BeppBeeps advice, I tried running Prime, which I am having a problem with. I am using the same prime I had on the PC when the 955be was in it and it ran fine with that cpu. With the 8350 as soon as I hit start on Blend or any other of the tests it just hard locks? I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and still doing the same, am I missing something? I did run 10 passes of the IBT, it sure cooks the cpu but it passes.

Attachments

• 8350 4.7 intel burn test.PNG
    8350 4.7 intel burn test.PNG
    26.3 KB · Views: 495
  • Cpuz cpu 4.7.PNG
    Cpuz cpu 4.7.PNG
    46.8 KB · Views: 482
  • IBT 8350 4.7.PNG
    IBT 8350 4.7.PNG
    43.9 KB · Views: 490
Looking good Mandrake4565, congrats on the new CPU!

I'm trying to work with TheCoolest (Coretemp's author) to ensure accurate temperature reporting. He thinks he has a method. I'm just having trouble getting him through my firewall to test.

Here is the thing with stess testing.. It passed AIA64 which updates and uses MORE extensions/instruction sets than Prime95 so in THEORY, its tests more things out. Also note, by default, AIDA64 does NOT test memory. So when you moved to P95 blend which does test a lot of memory you then shifted the focus from the CPU only to CPU + memory. If AIDA64 fails when adding the memory in, I would bet its a memory/NB issue.

The other thing about stress testing is this. P95/IBT(not fro AMD), may hiccup earlier, but if your PC works for what you do with it... THAT is stable. :)

Looking good Mandrake4565, congrats on the new CPU!

I'm trying to work with TheCoolest (Coretemp's author) to ensure accurate temperature reporting. He thinks he has a method. I'm just having trouble getting him through my firewall to test.

Thanks Hokie, I'm trying to help keep AMD around a while longer :). Otherwise, I would have just kept my 955be chugging along. I would love to get a program that gave more accurate temps. BTW anyone have an idea if my load temps are even close? With the 955be my CPU temps were usually 5c lower then cores under load. Should I assume that it is the same with the FX and add 5c to the CPU temp to get a core temp of 63c?

Thanks ED, I'm not sure what is going on with my Prime program. Anyhow I bumped it to 4.8 ran IBT again and it passes, I'm in the process of running Aida64 again to see how it fares. I do and had "stress system memory" checked so we'll see how it goes for 4.8.

Personally, I would stick with one application. Because of what i have heard, at least on the Intel side of the house, my program of choice is AIDA64 as it uses more of the extensions/instructions set (think AVX/SSE, etc) than PRime95 or IBT does. IBT is complete overkill, and I wont touch it outside of a absolute will never happen temperature scenario. Part of my point here is that everyone has a different preference on stress testing apps. If you are stable in AIDA64 with memory, then try gaming or w/e you use your desktop for if it doesnt hose on you, then you are good to go. Everyone has stories about each stress testing application... like, Person A uses P95 and IBT errors out but are stable. Person B uses IBT but P95 errors, but are stable.

I think 5°C is relatively close, but it's not 100% accurate as the scale changes depending on the temperature.

Here is the thing with stess testing.. It passed AIA64 which updates and uses MORE extensions/instruction sets than Prime95 so in THEORY, its tests more things out. Also note, by default, AIDA64 does NOT test memory. So when you moved to P95 blend which does test a lot of memory you then shifted the focus from the CPU only to CPU + memory. If AIDA64 fails when adding the memory in, I would bet its a memory/NB issue.

The other thing about stress testing is this. P95/IBT(not fro AMD), may hiccup earlier, but if your PC works for what you do with it... THAT is stable. :)
Test it yourself ;)

I haven't put the time in to analyze what the AIDA test calculates but I have run it and compared a few times, I could pass AIDA with an FX-8150 at 4.9 GHz for an hour when P95 would only pass 4.7, and around 4.8 instantly errored ;) This goes with memory checked or not...

Furthermore temps are like 15c lower than with P95.

IBT definitely puts the cpu under fire and like you said stable means different things for everyone. After it passes 2 hr of AIDA <---yes I'm an Optimist, I'll do some gaming and see how it goes.

I think 5°C is relatively close, but it's not 100% accurate as the scale changes depending on the temperature.

Ok thanks Hokie, I think I'm going to leave it at 4.8 for a bit after it passes AIDA and see how stable it is under everyday life. Then I'm going to see if I can hit the magic # :)

Test it yourself ;)

I haven't put the time in to analyze what the AIDA test calculates but I have run it and compared a few times, I could pass AIDA with an FX-8150 at 4.9 GHz for an hour when P95 would only pass 4.7, and around 4.8 instantly errored ;) This goes with memory checked or not...

Furthermore temps are like 15c lower than with P95.

It definitely pushes the temps higher as I have seen on my 955. I would run Prime if I could figure out why it's hard locking the sec I hit start.

It definitely pushes the temps higher as I have seen on my 955. I would run Prime if I could figure out why it's hard locking the sec I hit start.
Prime or AIDA?
Phenom II =/ BD/PD...quite different architectures.

Try lowering clock speed if it is hard locking ;) LinX is super easy to pass, I got almost 5 GHz to pass LinX without things getting out of hand.

Last edited:
Back