• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 2x SSD on Intel or 3x SSD on Marvel (raid0)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hi Folks

Using the asrock z77 oc formula (other specs in sig)...was thinking of going with 3x vertex 4's in raid 0. The issue is that the Intel chipset (which a sticker on the mobo says "for better performance and fast boot up times...use these ports) only has 2 sata3 ports. There are also 4 sata3 ports using the Marvel controller.

Question 1....there are 2 bios settings (in storage configuration) for the Marvell ports 0,1 and 2,3. If I set both of those to 'RAID', will it actually allow me to add the drives on ports 0, 1 and 2 to a single raid array?

Question 2...for maximum speed am I better off using the Intel ports (2x ssd's in raid0) or the Marvel ports (3x ssd's in raid0...if that'll work)?

tia!

Neither unless you are trying for fast HDD speeds in PCmark...or of course frequently work with large files...

But if you must R0 SSD's, do i on the Intel.

Thanks EarthDog. Yep...hoping to finally post up a decent pcm05 score.

For PCM, outside of having a sep controller for best results, you may need to test each way as it depends on the Marvell controller and what it can do/how much it will neuter the 3 drives.

Back