• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung 830 256GB Install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tank Geek

I just upgraded my laptop's HDD to SSD. The Magician software is showing me some low numbers. Take a look. What do you guys think of these numbers?

Attachments

• SSD.PNG
    SSD.PNG
    46.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Im not familiar with that benchmark. You should run CrystalMark or AS SSD for us to give you better input. However, from those charts it looks like your getting about the max you can expect in sequential read/write given that your laptop likely has a SATA2 port. As for the IO/S rating, that should be a bit lower than what your desktop shows, but I dont think it should be that much lower than the drives rating.

Is your Samsung connected to a Intel SATA3 port ?

Is the SATA port set to AHCI ? (If not, Google "AHCI registry hack" - change registry and reboot - without registry hack you will get endless BSOD)

Have you installed "Intel RST" (Intel AHCI drivers) ?

Is your SSD proper aligned ?

Run a "AS SSD" and post screenshot here ?

The graph looks like it is connected to a sata2 port instead of sata3 or perhaps the ASMedia ports. You need the ports marked sata3-0 and sata3-1, these are actually the second set from the top that use the Intel controller.

Is your Samsung connected to a Intel SATA3 port ?

Is the SATA port set to AHCI ? (If not, Google "AHCI registry hack" - change registry and reboot - without registry hack you will get endless BSOD)

Have you installed "Intel RST" (Intel AHCI drivers) ?

Is your SSD proper aligned ?

Run a "AS SSD" and post screenshot here ?

The graph looks like it is connected to a sata2 port instead of sata3 or perhaps the ASMedia ports. You need the ports marked sata3-0 and sata3-1, these are actually the second set from the top that use the Intel controller.

This is a laptop. I don't think there is more than one port and I am sure it's a SATA2. I just thought I heard that SATA2 connections were pretty good. I guess not. I have done all the OS Optimization on the Magician and I checked BIOS is set AHCI.

Attachments

• as-ssd-bench SAMSUNG SSD 830  10.27.2012 4-31-11 AM.png
    as-ssd-bench SAMSUNG SSD 830 10.27.2012 4-31-11 AM.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 59
Those are not really bad numbers for a sata2 connection, but I would install the AHCI Intel drivers or AMD AHCI drivers depending on which system you have. They are some better than the MSAHCI drivers and should improve your 4k numbers and perhaps the access times..

Those are not really bad numbers for a sata2 connection, but I would install the AHCI Intel drivers or AMD AHCI drivers depending on which system you have. They are some better than the MSAHCI drivers and should improve your 4k numbers and perhaps the access times..

There are a number of Intel drivers available and I am not sure which one to get. :shrug:
Maybe I should just leave it be, it's up and running.

Nittenti, thanks for the link!:thup:

But if you look at the top is says for desktop boards. This is a laptop, will it matter?

Attachments

• Intel.PNG
    Intel.PNG
    20 KB · Views: 94
That seems pretty good for Sata2. Im getting similar numbers from my 830 on Sata2.
Did you do a clean windows install? From what ive read this helps quite a bit.

Intel Desktop Boards = Intel Chipset Motherboards

If the laptop has a Intel chipset motherboard, you should be able to install it - but

If it's an old chipset, you might have to install an older version of Intel RST - look on station-drivers.com (10.8.0.1003 is fine)

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/intel raid.htm

Nittenti, I really appreciate you trying to help but I read up on that first driver and it doesn't cover my CPU. That last site was in another language. I know you are from Denmark so maybe it was a mistake. But anyway I am just going to leave it because I was told those are the numbers I could expect thanks.:bday:

That seems pretty good for Sata2. Im getting similar numbers from my 830 on Sata2.
Did you do a clean windows install? From what ive read this helps quite a bit.

Yea I am pretty sure it is a SATA2 machine. I bought this laptop in Feb 2011. Yes I did a fresh install and used the Magician to dial it in. A couple of you guys said these are normal numbers so I am not going to mess with it anymore. Thanks:D

Back