• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP installer, partition info??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
Ok guys I am trying to prep my windows XP benching drive with a copy of my windows xp installer in a small partition on the drive along with all of my drivers and benchmarks so I can get up and running between installs quickly. I do this with 4 systems right now using windows 7. I simply made a 4GB partition at the base of the SSD format it NTFS, set active, and then copy the installer to the partition and away we go. It will boot install and the windows installer adds a link to itself in the bootlader in case you need to reinstall.

So I tried this with my XP setup and when I tried to boot from it I get nothing. The bios just bypasses the drive and tells me there is no boot device. Does the XP installer need to be on a fat 32 partition? Is there some other issue that I need to be aware of to make this work properly?

Note I did also try this with the SATA controller set to IDE mode as well as AHCI mode just incase that was the issue.

you'll need the SATA drivers for win xp for your motherboard... windows installer will ask if you have any third party raid or sata drivers you want to install. say yes... and install them. It should be able to find your hard drive at that point.

Make sure the drive is formated in FAT32 or NTFS, windows XP can't use any other format.

Ya no mater what I tried I always ended up with one error or another trying to do it this way. I never even got it to start loading. So I just went and picked up some CD-R. If anyone has more intput on this topic Im still interested.

Back