• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOS update and PCIE x16

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hossainiir

Registered
[Solved]BIOS update and PCIE x16

hi,
i upgrade my mainboard bios (DFI JR 790GX-M2RS), after upgrade finished and pc restarted my monitor was't turn on.after alot atempt i decided to change my VGA PNY GTX 465 with HD3850 and this attempt worked.
and i underatand that "Link width" option has been set to x8.but in bios there is no x16 item to set!!
and also i understand that if i assembel two vgas on mainboard simultaneously GTX works fine even if HD3850 power was't connected.

how can i solve this problem??

my pc:
mainboard : DFI JR 790GX-M2RS
VGA 1 : PNY GTX 465
VGA 2 : HD3850
Cpu : Phenum x4 9550

Last edited:
AFAICT, the slots on that board are only connected at x8, so you'll not get x16 out of it regardless. It's unlikely you're going to be limited by that. 2.0 x8 is 4 GB/s, after all.

Second, having both ATI and nVidia GPU in one system is asking for trouble. The only reason I know of to do so is to use the ATI GPU as your primary display and the nVidia GPU for PhysX, but this requires hacked drivers.

thanks petteyg359,
the slot is x16 because before i upgrade my bois, GTX work fine, and CPU-Z tells that max suppored link width is x16 but link width has been set to x8!
also i want to use just GTX not 3850.

It has been at least 3 years since I dealt with the 790GX motherboard but I went back and looked in the manual and perhaps AFTER the bios flash which does change how the PCI3 linkage is accomplished you might need to do this now with newer bios.

On page #63 of the motherboard manual.
Internal Graphics Mode
This is used to configure the internal graphics mode. The options are
Disabled, UMA and UMA+SidePort. <<< You may need to Set this to DISABLED and see what the result is.

Thanks RGone,
I set Internal Graphics Mode to the Disabled item, but the problem still exist, and also my mainboard has't onboard gpu.

i think i was wrong,my mainboard is DFI DK 790GX-M2RS not DFI JR 790GX-M2RS because in mainboard there is no onboard GPU ,so the bios upgrade is wrong.
i will try to update it again with correct version.

i think i was wrong,my mainboard is DFI DK 790GX-M2RS not DFI JR 790GX-M2RS because in mainboard there is no onboard GPU ,so the bios upgrade is wrong.
i will try to update it again with correct version.

As I said, if it is 790GX, it has onboard GPU. Both those boards have onboard GPU.

As I said, if it is 790GX, it has onboard GPU. Both those boards have onboard GPU.
thus where is it's monitor port??

i know that i have DFI DK 790GX-M2RS mainboard, now the problem is that i can't upgrade the bios with last bios update(R7GDA12.BIN).
when i using AWDFLASH to upgrading ,this error has been occurred "the program file's part number does not match".

when i using AWDFLASH to upgrading ,this error has been occurred "the program file's part number does not match with your system".
any one can help me??:shock:

when i using AWDFLASH to upgrading ,this error has been occurred "the program file's part number does not match with your system".
any one can help me??:shock:

Right Click the autoexec.bat file and choose edit and copy what you get when it opens in notepad to the forum here so can see what flash syntax is being used to flash with.

It should look similar to this and/or this is what I need to see from your autoexect.bat file.

@echo off
cls
@ECHO OFF
AWDFLASH R7GDA17.BIN /cks/sn/py/cc/cd/cp/ld/qi/WB/ch
echo "The version of BIOS was inaccurate,"
echo "Please remove the floppy, download the right one and re-flash."
@ECHO OFF

@echo off
cls
@ECHO OFF
AWDFLASH R7GDA12.BIN /nbl/cks/sn/py/cc/cd/cp/ld/WB/ch
@ECHO OFF

this is in autoexec.bat

I made changes to the syntax in the /x/y/z area of the autoexec.bat file. You could copy what I posted below and make 'that' your new autoexec.bat file. That way you would not have to physically make the changes by hand yourself.

For FYI, I removed /cks and put /F in its' place. That should force the bios flash without comparing the bios you need to go to with the type bios already in the bios chip. This should work, but there is always the chance it will not and in the case it does not, you will need to order a pre-flashed bios chip with the bios on it that is correct for your motherboard. Good luck. RGone....ster.

@echo off
cls
@ECHO OFF
AWDFLASH R7GDA12.BIN /F/nbl/sn/py/cc/cd/cp/ld/WB/ch
@ECHO OFF

thanks,
before reading last post i update the bios with backup bios and now the computer doesn't boot, and debug led shows random char and sometime shows 88.
:eh?:
what can i do??

I have no real knowledge of this particular store. Many appear when g00gling pre flashed bios chips. This store seems priced about right though. They say IF you do not see your EXACT MODEL of motherboard, contact them. Most of the time they have to know the board and a link to the EXACT bios you want on the chip they send to you.

Bios Fix Depot

I got a spare chip for my current motherboard (so I could try out OpenBIOS and risk an utterly broken BIOS) from biosdepot on eBay. It wasn't listed, but within a day of me messaging and asking, they put up a BIN for me.

He doesn't need a bin file but a bios chip with the bin already flashed on it. The correct bios is available from the DFI site. If they put the correct bin on bios chip and send to him, then he should be good to go again after the flash of the wrong bios onto his mobo.

He doesn't need a bin file but a bios chip with the bin already flashed on it. The correct bios is available from the DFI site. If they put the correct bin on bios chip and send to him, then he should be good to go again after the flash of the wrong bios onto his mobo.

When eBay comes before capitalized BIN in a sentence, it usually refers to Buy-It-Now :)

Back