• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Office Laptop SSD (Value)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

McGrace

Hi guys,

I got a copy of Windows 8 coming in the mail, and was thinking of throwing it on an extra laptop I have to try it out. If it sucks, then it won't take out a computer that has daily usage. There is a lot of stuff on the hard drive I don't want to mess with, and I am out of extra laptop hard drives (I run a business, so I typically keep spares so if one drops I can get the computer back online fast).

So I was figuring I would get a SSD and just replace the current Hard Drive and fresh install Win 8 on it. It typically just runs MS Office and stuff, but it was my dev machine at one point (Java/C#/Android). If all works out great I MAY go back to it. Dunno. No need for excessive storage, such as video or audio.

So I am looking for a SSD at a good price with good performance, but it does not have to be great. The one thing I do not want to run into is running out of space. But of course, I don't want to spend money on a 240GB if I stand to only use 80 of it.

Just fishing for ideas and for a general feel on where SSD drives rank today. I have a crucial UDB3 60GB in my desktop that's great. Just too small. So basically, what size do people have now and are they cramped for space?

EDIT: I am in no rush whatsoever, so I am anticipating waiting for a great deal and jumping on it. Any time before February would be great. Black Monday maybe...

Regards,
DB

As far as size... thats up to you. Only you know your usage, so tell us an appropriate size. ;)

As far as SSD's...

Samsung 830
Crucial M4
OCZ Vertex 4
Adata XPG SX9000

...are all quality units.

Definitely the kind of info I was looking for. I think a 120+ GB would be fine. But if maybe a 240GB went on super sale I can justify that. Sort of a get more than you think you need sort of thing.

EDIT: Sorry to have to re-clarify intent. Also trying to determine and get a feel for pricing and upcoming changes. I just bought a Nexus 7 a week ago, and now they dropped in price 50 bucks. I'll get it back, but I have to go get a price match done. I don't want to get a SSD if there is some big thing coming out that will drop prices in a lot of them. Don't want to make same mistake again. I will, but trying to at least try not to.

Thanks, and thanks for all the great information.

Last edited:
only thing that really drops prices on ssd's is smaller nand size ie samsung 22nm or was it 30nm nand flash. as well Samsung is the first to market with TLC nand and is priced nice for the performance.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147188
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147189
the last link is 250gb for $200 which is a hell of a deal! if your not one to be a first to try TLC then how about a slightly older controller. still a smashing deal on price per size but just a bit slower on write speeds.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227812
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227813
the last link being 240gb for only $159.

i have a had a few Indillix based drives (2)60gig agilities, 1 vertex(flashed to Turbo), then the two in my first rig listed in sig. never any kind of issues with them, even with them being older i think they are more of a safe bet. while i have read the new fw for sandforce fixes alot of concerns, i still worry suggesting them.

I would go to Newegg and register for their E-mail list. They somtimes have great 24-48 hour sales, I got two 120 kingston Hyperx 3K for 59.00 each with free shipping during one of the 24 hour sales for the kid's computers. I would also stick with a sataIII because the drive should outlive an older laptops usefullness by a good bit and you will want to use it elsewhere without the bandwidth limits.

Oh yeah newegg deals... DUH!!!!

I have no idea why I didn't notice I wasn't getting them any more. I must have turned them off once I had my computers fairly set. But I forgot to turn them back on. I R IDIUT.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

On another note I just notice on Amazon this: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-830-M...R&s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1352302276&sr=1-9

BUT, if you got some 120GBs for 60 bucks a piece, I think I will go your route and sign back up for newegg deals and wait longer. Can't hurt right?

Thank you everyone for all your help.

Got a Samsung 830 off Amazon with 128GB capacity and did a clean install of Windows 8.

Here's a weird lesson. If you do a clean install with an upgrade license, you need to do some registry hacks to get it to accept the license. I still have the OEM Win 7 license available, but you can't enter that to confirm. You have to either do the reg hacks or install win 7 again first... weird.

Speed is ridiculous. Wish I had this drive before, and I will be looking for a 256GB version for my main dev rig.

Back