• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help for a noobie

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

liquidfire

Ok I already have built a custom watercooled for my 955be.
(Leak free o yeah:))

I have started collecting parts for my new build and would like to know about pumps.

I currently have an ek dcp 4.0 running a cpu loop with a 240mm rad.

Would this pump be good enough to run a cpu and 2gpu blocks through 2x 360mm rads might add the 240mm rad as well to save wasting it:)

The new system would be;
I7 3930k
2x msi 7970 lightenings.

The rads are hardware labs black ice 360mm and an ek xt240mm.

What do you reccomend?

1) run all off the 4.0 one loop?

2) buy second 4.0 run two loops 360mm for cpu and 600mm(2rads) for GPUs?

3) get a single different pump?

4) somthing completely different?

All reccomendations are appreciated:)

The EK 4.0 is a Jingway 1200 OEM that has a PSI of 3.83 at a flow of 1 GPM, which is in between stock setting 4 and 5 on a Laing D5. Or this is about the power of a Swiftech 35Basic. Perhaps it easier to think of this pump like a Basic or "B" series of Laing. So it is a good pump but not quite as powerful as a top of the line Laing models.

The restriction of your loop will depend on the components you use. For example the HW Labs Black Ice Extreme are more restrictive than some rads. You may wish to use Martinm210's Pump/Rad Optimizer and simply substitute components that are similar. Doing this, I got under 1 GPM for you with one EK 4.0 but over 1 GPM using 2 in series, which may be the most cost effective if you want to reach over 1 GPM. Otherwise, you will need to carefully look at the restrictive nature of the block and choose higher flow blocks to get best results with one 4.0.

You can always try it. If it won't bleed air, you may want more pump. The temps won't go bad from flow until it gets very low such as .6 gpm or less. Good luck. :)

Arrgh that makes a lot of sense:)

So if I put two pumps in series the flow would be higher( I was under the impression the first pump did barely any work when in series)

So would you advise 2 pumps in series over the dual loop option?

As much as I want perfection it would be a shame to waste the kit I already have:)

Thanks for the response:)

Flow is from the pressure (head) of the pump vs the restriction of the loop. So yes, two pumps in series would help. It's not a 1+1 add, but it helps a lot. Your current pump isn't a strong head (LOL) performer, adding another 4.0 is the cheapest idea but not a bad one. It gives you pump redundancy, if one dies at least your system will perform somewhat. Lots of us use CPU shutdown temps anyway to save the GPUs if the one pump dies. So redundancy is nice, but not a big issue.

If you got the room to run two of them and you like your first 4.0, then do it, save some money.

You did buy a basic kit, not a custom kit using top pump brands etc, so you could be catching up now for the final cost. Lots do it, go cheaper to start, then like WC, and paying more (somewhat) in the long run.

My thoughts? Try it off the one pump. Temps bad money short? Buy another same pump.

Do it right? Sell the 4.0 (classies here) for a song and get a 35x pump instead, one teeny pump will work on the loop and PWM controlled. Good stuff.

Done and done:) ill get a 35x.

Thank you for the explanations it's really appreciated:)

Would you reccomend the mcp35x over say a Laing d5?

The d5 is a great pump. Are you meaning the D5 or the D5 vario? And I have used a D5 vario, MCP 355, and the 35x. All are Laing pumps. The MCP 355 is the Swiftech version. These smaller pumps have better good flow/pressure ratings. The 35x is the latest Swift one using a new PCB PWM speed controlled pump from Laing and a relly well engineered pump top from Swift... If you been in this WC world for a few years you would understand the teeny changes.

The PWM and the great engineering of the 35x is what most folks buy to know they have no issues.

You looking at the D5 is just you 'don't know' and see the links on buy pages with no history. Not an issue, you just haven't been at this a long time and it takes WEEKS to get a clue if not more before buying. There is so much info to digest.

Your doing great.

If you were to have martinsliquidlab.org, skinneelabs.com before you bought your EK loop you might of bought differently. So read up why each pump is diff, and possibly make a few favs to use as you learn. It's a hobby. What's the rush?

Sorry should off been more specific it was the D5 vario.

You are correct I have a lot more research to do:) I love watercooling it's such a learning curve to get it right:)

Thanks again for the suggestions:)

Back