• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual 7770 or one 7850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Richierichdolla

Hey I have been playing alot of pc games lately, bf3, batman and alot more will come out that I want and I would like to start playing at ultra settings i already have a 7770 I wonder should I just crossfire or just get a 7850 budget is around 200 bucks. Thanks

If I'm honest I'd go the 7850 route I have the msi twin frozor.

You can easily play 99% of games of high settings with good frame rates. If high settings aren't enough for you then it also overclocks like a beast(on average) you can take it up to an almost equal 7950:)

For comparison mine runs 1300mhz clock and 6150mhz mem and maxes out all games without artefacts.

Another 7770 will put you back a little less money, but the 7850 is a much better card.

It was like my decision to get a 2nd 480GTX for my wife's PC vs getting a 680.

The 480 was 95 bucks on e-bay (In a box who's original seals were never broken), sometimes value just screams!

One 7850... CrossfireX/SLI can potentially be a hassle (poor scaling in new titles, microstutter to name two things). If you are at 1920x1080 or less, a single card is the way to go for sure and that 7850 will be fine (though 7770 is faster in titles that scale remotely decently).

for me, no point in buying 2 mid range cards when 1 single card can beat their performance, your adding possible problems into the equation with Xfire and so on, just buy one card and be happy :D

Did they fix most of the microstutter issues back in the 6 series?

Seeing that you already own a 7770, I would urge you to look at a 7870 rather than 7850. Maybe even look at 7950 IceQ (as reviewed on the home page :)).

Crossfire only makes sense with high end cards, for playing games with good scaling with 3 monitors or when a single really fast card still isn't enough. Mid range cards aren't worth the trouble.

Good luck with you decision and honestly, I think you would be happy whatever you do - but you would be happier with a 7870 :)

Never SLi/CF contemporary cards. Never.

Always take a faster mono-GPU card instead of SLi/CFing slower GPUs. The only acceptable contemporary card SLi/CF for me would be 7970 CF or 680 SLi, and that will only happen if you rock 4K resolutions, abuse filters, or play Skyrim with a lot of mods.

Skyrim with a lot of mods.

:cool:

I SLI because I have two tri-monitor configurations I juggle around between my rigs (Well, used to juggle both. Wife has claimed the better of the two for her own)

I think a good enough value can at times merit x-fire / SLI, but it has to be a steal (Like a 90 dollar 480, for example)

1080p just doesn't draw cards enough to warrent the headache of GPU configurations x_x

:cool:

I SLI because I have two tri-monitor configurations I juggle around between my rigs (Well, used to juggle both. Wife has claimed the better of the two for her own)

I think a good enough value can at times merit x-fire / SLI, but it has to be a steal (Like a 90 dollar 480, for example)

1080p just doesn't draw cards enough to warrent the headache of GPU configurations x_x

Yes, that's what happened to me. 470, with waterblock, and bridge thingy for 100 EUR. I didn't even think twice.

But, if you're getting a new card, there's no reason for you to go CFX or SLI instead of powerful monoGPU.

Back