• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7970 worth the $75 extra ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What do you need us for, LOL? Is it worth it to YOU? It seems like you have the numbers to make this choice.. how can we help?
I wouldnt go 7970 CF for single monitor... no way.

I believe the 7870 is the better choice over the 7950 in many games if price is an issue. And that should make it clear where the 7970 stands.
I could be totally off though, but if I would buy a card now, I would seriously consider the 7970 Ghz versions, and if my budget would only go to 7950 prices, I would seriously think about the 7870 since it's cheaper and seems to do very well compared to 7950 cards.

I believe the 7870 is the better choice over the 7950 in many games if price is an issue. And that should make it clear where the 7970 stands.
I could be totally off though, but if I would buy a card now, I would seriously consider the 7970 Ghz versions, and if my budget would only go to 7950 prices, I would seriously think about the 7870 since it's cheaper and seems to do very well compared to 7950 cards.
7870??? You spending too much time in the coffee shops? :p

Being serious.. I am of the mindset, in most cases, that if you have the money to spend on a better GPU, do it. 7870 is as fast as last gen's GTX580 for all intents and purposes, and the 7950 is noteably faster than a 7870 (10% in the TPU 12.11 link above).

I had a 6950 CF until I sold 1st 1 to prepare for next setup. A 7870 CF doesn't beat a 6950CF by very much.

All this is for 2560x1440, and I want 60fps all the time, a 7950 CF should just about do it, but a 7970 CF should for sure even in next years games. +45 days to go yet

670 sli with PhysX is a temptation too, I haven't had a nvidia card since a geforce MX-440 64MB, I think it was called

Oh thats right.. sorry with all the threads, I lose who is doing what, LOL!! Perhaps when you create another similar thread, list your setup for those that havent helped in the others. :)

I had a 6950 CF until I sold 1st 1 to prepare for next setup. A 7870 CF doesn't beat a 6950CF by very much.

All this is for 2560x1440, and I want 60fps all the time, a 7950 CF should just about do it, but a 7970 CF should for sure even in next years games. +45 days to go yet

670 sli with PhysX is a temptation too, I haven't had a nvidia card since a geforce MX-440 64MB, I think it was called

Your gaming on one monitor?

yes, and a single card won't get 60fps in games like BF3, or a few others @ 1440p, so that's why I plan to CF or sli

I wonder what farcry 3 and the new hitman will need, or maybe some day GTA5 if it ever goes to PC

yes, and a single card won't get 60fps in games like BF3, or a few others @ 1440p, so that's why I plan to CF or sli

I wonder what farcry 3 and the new hitman will need, or maybe some day GTA5 if it ever goes to PC

GTA 5 better come for pc! But apart from that, yes i will agree to a point. But then why not get the 7950 CF if its what you know you want? or just got right for 7970 CF.

I dont know much about nvidia, apart from i hate the surround gaming they have. But theres so many tests and reviews out there, why not use them to pick a card?

buying a car or house must be very hard

I understand you situation to a certain point, but somewhere along the line, you have to pick yourself. I myself have spent the last few weeks reading, looking, watching and learning what i can understand about the 7970s.

I feel like im no closer at all. Start of next week, my GTx590 will be gone, and i will be buying a card. I have it narrowed down to 3 cards now, and thats only made it worse!

M33Cat>
Here's the big question, can you afford a pair of 7970's?
If the answer is yes, then get them and quit dragging your feet about it.
You're just looking for somebody to tell you to get the 7970's, so here it is
GO GET THE DAMNED THINGS, there now your problem is solved! :)

well I won't start anymore threads on it till 1 month, unless we get solid news of the 8900s

I could just about afford the 7970s in the same christmas time frame, and I'd only buy junk food and booze with the saved money if I went 7950 or 660

Lots of time yet, it's the waiting that drives me mad and makes go back and forth. Once I buy, I'll be happy with either card (assuming they are not DOA, etc)

maybe I'll get the 7950s and get another small SSD to load more games on

Dude you got a crisis lol, i put a price watch on a vertex 4 about 4 months ago, since then i upgraded everything apart from ssd, get the damn 7970s and then an ssd later. Games can be installed, and uninstalled, gpus cant just be upgraded. Im sure this upgrade your doing now is cutting years of your life with all the thinking your doing.

I think the 7970 is worth the extra $75, undoubtedly, but only if it's not a voltage locked 7970.

Back