• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Looking for a cheap gigabit router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MAL22

I currently have the belkin N600 DB but I started looking at the N750 DB because of the gigabit ports but the reviews aren't super good even though I never had any major issues with my N600... Could someone kindly guide me for a cheap gigabit router or juste buy my N750. I want to upgrade since I do quite a lot of big files transfers between my desktop and my laptop and... on 100mbps LAN it's awfully slow compared to my crossover that i used between them once. :/

How cheap is cheap?

Netgear WNDR3700 - $90 (300Mbps) ($112 CA)
Netgear WNDR4000 - $115 (450Mbps) ($135 CA)
Asus RT-N66U - $160 (450Mbps) ($217 CA)

If the Asus isn't too expensive for you, I'd get it purely for the external (and replaceable) antennas and huge RAM and Flash space. All of them are gigabit, 802.11n, have USB ports, and are supported by DD-WRT.

Last edited:
You should specify a relatively strict budget. What is cheap to one is not to another.

I don't know if the belkin N750 would be sufficient. I like my current N600 except for the lack of gigabit ports. And since I'm living in a dorm for my studies wi-fi over long range isnt much of a problem.

Do you have a 3x3 card (if you do, it'll have three antennas)? If not, then you're never going to get the 450Mbps connection. Amazon.ca doesn't seem to have N750 in stock, and Newegg.ca charges extra shipping on it. Given a blind choice between brands without knowing the specific hardware involved, I'll take Netgear over Belkin any day. I've only checked Newegg and Amazon, though. If you found it somewhere else significantly cheaper than $100, go for it. I can guarantee the WNDR 3700 is great for big file transfers, as at LAN parties entire Steam folders have been transferred between several computers at once to avoid having lots of people re-download many GBs.

I have a lenovo y580 but can't remember if it's a 3x3 card but anyway I use my cat5e cables for large files transfers. And my internet provider doesn't even provide enough bandwidth so saturate 100mbps. I had in mind to buy a gigabit router to take advantage of faster transfers that wouldn't get bottlenecked by the LAN interface before even going through the wi-fi which I would use for smaller files. Even the USB port located behind my router gets slow as hell 'cause it cannot transfer faster than LAN 100... I also considered eventually build a home server with 2 HDDs RAID 1 to backup my music, photos and such so gigabit would allow the HDDs to transfer at full speed but knowing myself it could be REALLY, REALLY unlikely it would happen in the next year or two unless I get my dual PIII running with some old IDE HDDs for now.

So far...

-Gigabit is overkill for anything but my local network
-Actually I never used wi-fi to transfer my games ISO (Obviously I don't have a whole day to waste)

Last edited:
Why not just buy a cheap gigabit switch?
If you only care about transfers from wired client to wired client then a 5 port gigabit switch for $35 shipped will do the job...

Just plug 1 port from the switch into the 10/100 ports on the router for internet access, plug in your other devices to the switch. Basically all you are doing here is replacing the 4 port switch on the router with a 4 port (useable) gigabit switch (5th port for WAN/DHCP/WLAN).

Wireless N is at best going to match Fast Ethernet (100) in real-world transfer speeds too so it's not as if you're going to lose much if at all trying to transfer wireless to wired either.

Also, if you're doing these transfers every time with only 2 devices (your desktop and your laptop) then why not just use a crossover cable every time? There seems to be no reason for a switch in the first place.

If in some case your WAN connection saturated more than 100 Mbps (you say it doesn't)...

I believe you could still go:
ISP Modem > 5 port Gigabit Switch > 4 Wired End Devices and 1 Wireless Router WAN input

Last edited:
Using my crossover I have to unplug my ethernet cable from my desktop everytime and i'm lazy. :3 Guess I could use my network card I salvaged from an old pentium 4 PC and rely on it for internet access and on my gigabit port for files transfers.

If that's all you need, then grab the gigabit switch I linked above...a lot cheaper than $100, thats for sure.

The switch will have 5 ports. You need to plug one of them into the 10/100 Mbps ports on your router for internet / wifi internetwork access. The other 4, you would use just like the 4 ports on the back of your router, except they will be 1 Gbps ports instead of 10/100.

The four ports on the back of your router are actually just an integrated 4 port switch, if you buy the gigabit switch you won't really change anything.

If it helps, here is an awesome mspaint sketch of my network setup.

My Server and NAS are the only gigabit enabled kit. I have them on a separate branch so that any data i transfer doesnt go through my 100mb router.

NGngB.png

Oooh. Thanks, I understand now. Wish I had a 100mbps connection but damn it's like 150$ per month... Gigabit... :'( (Who is using mspaint these days?)

The "100mb" is a Linksys wrt54g 100mb wifi router.
The "modem" provides a 50mb/2mb cable internet connection to the 100mb router, which serves the gigabit router.

Catch my drift?

I brought my network card home, plugged it in my PCI port and... Windows 7 installed the drivers, now i'm using it as my internet interface and my gigabit port now serves as a transfer port between my laptop and my desktop. Success!

Back