• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Turn external drive to internal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psittac

I hate my friends external western digital 1TB hard drive and theres a huge part of me that wants to rip it out and make it an internal drive.

Is this possible and if so will he lose any data?

Most external drives are just a normal internal SATA desktop drive with a cover and a USB connector. It should fit straight into an ordinary computer and I don't see why you would lose any data.

Most external drives are just a normal internal SATA desktop drive with a cover and a USB connector. It should fit straight into an ordinary computer and I don't see why you would lose any data.

ok thanks I kinda suspected that since I've got an external case that's meant to have a laptop drive stuck in it that I never used

just wasn't sure if the ones you buy as an external had some kind of controller or anything, didn't want to get it open and go...... uhhhhh sorry dude your hdd and/or data are toast.

if its one of those my passport drives then the new versions of those drives have the usb integrated on the pcb of the hard drive itself to save space,it doesn't have a sata port

it's a wd10000h1u-00

the drive doesn't even recognize anymore so I might try and hook it up internal to see if the data can be recovered.

One option right now is get him an internal drive then backup the external (after taking out of case) then return it to the external case.

Is it possible to hook it back up as an external after this? or does the case get broken in the process?

If you are careful in taking it apart, you should be able to re-assemble it. The warranty is invalid once you open it, though.

If you are careful in taking it apart, you should be able to re-assemble it. The warranty is invalid once you open it, though.

awesome thanks, i'm pretty sure it's old enough to not have a warranty anymore.

Back