• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vid = vcore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peugot

im a bit lost here, why does it show 2 different voltages for my cpu? i finally made to downclock it to original speed, but my temps and voltage is different ??

Attachments

• Uten navn.png
    Uten navn.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 762
Just disregard the voltage in the VID field of Core Temp, as it doesn't apply to SB-E chips, and hence is an incorrect value.

VID (when reported correctly) represents the rated voltage Intel says it can run at, and it is not vcore. Here's the best explanation I've ever seen:

VID (Voltage Identifier) = Voltage Level "request" by the CPU to the motherboard's VR (voltage regulator) to supply it, this is initialized by the CPU and can change accordingly if the CPU is in power saving mode like C1E/EIST features, and also each CPU has an unique max VID internally that was set at factory level while they're running at full load. Turning off power saving features like C1E/EIST will overide and disable those feature and the cpu's VID will be permanently set at their max.

VCore = Actual voltage "delivered/supplied" by the mobo to the cpu, this could be automatic from the cpu as the function of C1E/EIST features ... or ... it was manually set and override by user like in OCing, and this "manually set" vcore could be higher/lower than the cpu's VID at mobo with oc-ing capability.

About the voltage reading, VID is just a state or information that is in the CPU, while vcore is the actual voltage, and as usual, software based reading on vcore is not very accurate, expecting +/-10 to 20% off for normal condition.

VID (when reported correctly) represents the rated voltage Intel says it can run at, and it is not vcore. Here's the best explanation I've ever seen:

this explains a lot, thank you! i got down 0.1v from the vid, and it runs perfect with it =) but, do you see the temps, how come the core temps is the same as cpu temp? i was convinced that it should be 6-8c difference between them?

That's not the correct VID because the CPU is supplying incorrect Voltage ID information to Core Temp, which is why I stated it should be disregarded. As far as the temp difference between CPU Temp (Tcase) and core temp's (Tjunction), try loading the CPU w/ Prime, LinX, or OCCT and re-check the difference in temp's.

Back