• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD, WHY!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anonaru

Unofficially, and hopefully not true, but it looks like Steamroller may be delayed until 2014. whyyy? :bang head

Reference is here

Anybody holding out on a deneb rig for steamroller to come out?

1st off, its simple. Go pickup a used 2500k for $130-$150 and be happy.
2nd, post in the AMD cpu section please!

1st off, its simple. Go pickup a used 2500k for $130-$150 and be happy.
2nd, post in the AMD cpu section please!

It's simple.

I have a 3930k in my sig.

I'm obviously looking foward to an AMD part on an AMD rig.

This is a General Discussion, what's wrong with it being here? zzz.:facepalm:

their latest core produced some pretty good numbers, better than i expected so that might be part of the reason but i think a big part of it is that they dont want another 1st generation phenom problem to repeat

their latest core produced some pretty good numbers, better than i expected so that might be part of the reason but i think a big part of it is that they dont want another 1st generation phenom problem to repeat

Slightly off topic, but first gen Phenom problem? Sorry, my 965 was my first higher end AMD CPU purchase since the s939 days, so kinda out of the loop.

1st gen phenoms were bunk compared to ph ii's.

Doz said to post in amd cpus because general discussion is not for technical or hardware software discussion. It is for off topic. There is a notice at the top of this section that explains this, as well as the description for this section on the homepage.

Moved to proper section. :salute:

Last edited:
Well Piledriver is a pretty good deal right now for low end or for people wanting cheap multithreaded performance.

There's plenty of room for price cuts and sales and such. And it's not like they can't eventually release new Piledriver chips with increased frequencies.

If it's delayed till 2014 they better make it worth it.

Slightly off topic, but first gen Phenom problem? Sorry, my 965 was my first higher end AMD CPU purchase since the s939 days, so kinda out of the loop.

What you have is a second gen Phenom, I make a habit of skipping first gen from AMD, I learned the lesson with the Slot A, Duron and the Athlon MP, so I skipped the first gen Athlon 939 and Phenoms and now the FX and it's paying off. The Phenom II and Athlon II's are among AMD's best and Piledriver is looking good.

I imagine that with the major updates coming down the pike in the next year+ combine with the fact that AMDs original roadmap showed BD as the last AMx variant mean steamroller is going to be a fully new platform. The inclusion of additional 3rd party IP also requires alot of polish and testing. Then theres the task of getting all of the necessary support from oses when you add something brand new. Id much rather see them take a year off of updating the lineup so that they can bring a platform using all of the latest(DDR4, ARM based crypto co processor) while positioning themselves to leverage multiple fabs to get access to new processes quicker. So ya 2014 I can wait, PD is fully capable of holding its own for two years, and they could still do a core revision and squeeze out a "new" product next year.

It would not be any surprise to me to see 'steamroller' put off further into the future. Since what I read was just as much rumor and speculation as what we are doing now I did not bookmark the blurb I read about 7 weeks ago.

The blurb said that AMD was going to move away from the one module and two cores with only a single FP Unit. Never read it but that once and have not really looked for the article/blurb again, since nothing would be concrete anyway. Too much to still happen at AMD to stay a viable company to guess their direction for real. I doubt that they are sure even.

as to the other question, I am skipping pile driver and waiting for steamroller.
In my overclocking and game rigs i have fx4170, 965be, 955be and a 9850.

I imagine AMD wants to focus on the APU department, aren't they involved with the next XBox and Playstation? And there's a line of Windows 8 tablets and laptops with the APU.

as to the other question, I am skipping pile driver and waiting for steamroller.
In my overclocking and game rigs i have fx4170, 965be, 955be and a 9850.

That's going to be quite some waiting, you may as well get the 4300 or 6300.

Will steamroller make it to market? These damn tablets are ruining the PC enthusiast community! lol

I imagine AMD wants to focus on the APU department, aren't they involved with the next XBox and Playstation? And there's a line of Windows 8 tablets and laptops with the APU.
This seems like a likely culprit to me.

This seems like a likely culprit to me.

Agreed.

Kaveri was supposed to come out pretty soon, wasn't it?

I may end up having to grab a Piledriver for my deneb rig.. Waiting for them to do a new stepping at the very least (Looks like they may be heading towards lower TDP or higher frequencies like with the 95w bulldozers)

That's going to be quite some waiting, you may as well get the 4300 or 6300.

Last I read AMD has the contracts for the video card parts of each new console, but the CPU parts look like they will be going to IBM. Possibly all three consoles might be getting updated Cell CPU's or power-PC based CPU's.

Which would make sense seeing as if they switched to x86 architecture they would loose ten years of backwards compatibility in games. And this time around not having backwards compatibility would mean loosing their entire library of for sale/downloadable full PS3/Xbox games from this generation.

Xbox is x86, they won't lose anything.
Playstation is a different story of course.

Back