• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build - x264 encoding machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tyee

My first post! Nice to be here.

I have been searching and reading all I can about new build parts for doing encoding mostly, or let's say that will be the heaviest workload it will see. I do not do any games but if it will do encoding I suppose it would do games but I don't expect to.

I usually read all the reviews on newegg and see what everyone says but lately on the topic of motherboards there are so many problems with all brands it seems. Bent cpu pins occurs a lot. Do the manufacturers make it that easy to break your MB nowadays? It's scary, not wanting to lose a MB over what sounds like something so easy as mounting a cpu. Dead ports, lasting only a few weeks or months, I can only hope I get a good one.

I am pretty well settled on an i7-2600k just because the 3770k is not that much of an upgrade, speedwise, and I will be overclocking the 2600k for encoding. I am a communications tech by trade and I know how bad heat is for electronics so that is another reason, however I'm open to any suggestions. I thought I read recently that something had been changed on the IB 3770k and heat is not a problem anymore??

For MBs, I usually get ASUS but lots like ASRock Z77 Extreme4. I'm in Canada and for some known reason they are marked up here over the US prices. I read a post from Knufire and he suggested an ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3 but I'm open to any suggestions.

For all the other parts I'm not too concerned other than the case being large enough to fit the MB and PS in. Suggestions for those too is welcome, especially power supply wattage.

Video cards - I haven't been following them for the last few years. I only watch Blu-ray, no games, so a suggestion here is good too.

Thanks

Last edited:
a couple of questions.

1) are you wedded to Intel?
2) what gaming do you expect to do
3) what's your monitor?
4) your budget?
5) what type of encoding?
6) does your budget include case/psu/monitor/peripherals?
7) large or small
8) loud or quiet?
9) energy efficient?
10) does that budget include an OS?

~you probably can save money backing off the i7, unless when you say you're planning to do encoding, what you mean is you're doing this for work, and will be doing encoding 24/7, at which point an i7 starts to make sense...

I prefer Intel, yes. x264 encoder can use hyperthreading. It makes a difference to me.
I won't be doing any gaming
My monitor is a 27" asus lcd or a 100" diagonal projector for Blu-ray movies
Budget for MB<$200, GPU<200
Encoding is backing up Blu-ray to 720p. I want it done in real time or less >= 24fps using x264 encoder, not with any gpu assistance.
Currently I get 8fps with Q6600 cpu.
A normal sized desktop is fine
The quieter the better, it's 3 feet from me watching movies
Energy efficiency is not important, but is nice
I have win7 already to go

Back