• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Windows 8 & older pc's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtreme Barton

what do you think the chances are of older pc's getting some love with drivers ?

im kicking myself in the but for thinking I would be ok installing this on an older pc. Family friend asked to fresh his pc up. So me and my bright ideas installed 8 on it only to find out no video controller driver installed (not even generic) .. just a big yellow triangle :(

Id hate to bump him back to xp sp3 ... maybe I need to except the fact and do that ..but its hard :D

how old we talking? if there are windows 7 drivers available you can try those.

OMG people still talk about Nvidia FX* cards? God they were horrible, at least the FX5900 I had was. My ATI X700Pro and X1650Pro cards were better. :)

I have an old spare PC, I think Athlon II X2 or Sempron with a 9800GT, that'll be fun to boot up and toy with.

OMG people still talk about Nvidia FX* cards? God they were horrible, at least the FX5900 I had was. My ATI X700Pro and X1650Pro cards were better. :)

I have an old spare PC, I think Athlon II X2 or Sempron with a 9800GT, that'll be fun to boot up and toy with.

FX5900 (or at least the 5950) was the best of the GeForce FX series.
That couldn't have been that bad, even if not as good as a 6800.
But, I heard that FX5600 was awful. FX5200 and FX5500 was the worst in my book.

I think a Radeon 9000 Pro and Radeon 9600 SE was worse.

GeForce 7-series are worse in my book, for typically being plagued with "FZ" caps.

Back