• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Instead of SprayPaint

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Revolver

Whats up Overclockers,
There are some killer cases and mods. in here,good job!
But I was wondering,has anybody tried powdercoating instead of spray?
I think it would give a cleaner more professional look.I used to get
my BMX bikes coated when I used to race,always came out excellent and for something as small as a comp.case it should be reasonably priced.
Anyways killer site and looking foward to seeing more tricks n tweaks.
Laters:beer: :burn:

If I didnt do this hyperlink correct here is the url
http://www.powderequip.com/allaboutpc.html

Whats up Crystal Method,
Well after some thinking I remember reading an article explaining
how to dye plastics using leather dye.Get a good brush and brush on dye evenly.Then use brush to work the dye in genlty.Remove excess with a paper towel.After a few minutes rinse in water eliminate excess
dye,then dry with paper towel.This process is supposed to be partically reversible if your rinse in acetone or alcohol.Also for the smaller parts you can soak instead of brushing.

I personally have never done this,but dude I work with uses this trick
when building street rods.Says its easy fast with solid results.
Anyways its a thought...........laters bro:beer:

If I remember right, when you powder coat parts they have to be cooked in an oven to melt the powdercoat. That would work fine for aluminum / steel but I dont think normal PC case plastics could handle that...

Now if you could get a carbon fiber faceplate for your PC.....

Personally, I don't think paying extra for the powder coating is worth it. I've had powder coat finishes on some of my paintball guns and the powder seems to scratch pretty easily. That's on a paintball gun that gets thrown around alot though, not like a comp. case. I think you'd be better off saving some money and spray painting and clear coating. Just my opinion though.

i know this is an old thread..but I powdercoat...and a good powdercoat job shouldnt scratch easily..it is actually scratch resistant..and yes..you do have to bake the item..so no plastic..hehe i did a case about two weeks ago in chrome powdercoat...it turned out sweet I will get pics asap.. most computer cases are powdercoated..it is up to 10 times as durable as a typical paint finish when applied correctly...any questions feel free to ask

Joker76 said:
Personally, I don't think paying extra for the powder coating is worth it. I've had powder coat finishes on some of my paintball guns and the powder seems to scratch pretty easily. That's on a paintball gun that gets thrown around alot though, not like a comp. case. I think you'd be better off saving some money and spray painting and clear coating. Just my opinion though.

You sure your not thinking of anodizing. Thats what most paintball gun finishes are, and it does scratch pretty easily.

Joker76 said:

Hummmm? I thought all you paint ball guys had your guns anodized? Power coating would look too pedestrian. :D

Gliderguy said:

Now if you could get a carbon fiber faceplate for your PC.....

hey that would be pretty sweet....

since carbon fiber has become more mainstream now (and with more applications for pure decoration than for the properties of the material) i really wouldn't be surprised to see something like this happening in the next couple of years or so.

It would be sweet to make an entire case out of that stuff, it would be nice and lightweight :D

im gonna start putting together another box soon (hopefully). i have an old AT case, and im going to get carbon fiber contact paper or something, just for the look. i looked into getting some sheets of carbon fiber, but its a little out of my price range =). oh well.

yeah, its still expensive stuff (carbon fiber)

buts its coming down. its too bad i only know how to make molds for carbon fiber stuff, and don't have the equipment to actually run them and make c. fiber....

Back