• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of upgrading Klipsch Promedia 2.1's Satellites

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darknecron

Is it worth doing? I know there is a good number of fellow Overclockers here that have the Promedia set....but has anyone ever tried swapping the satellites with anything else?

I would like to swap them out for these Pioneer bookshelves, but i don't have the room to place those monsters. So instead, I have been looking at this pair of Sonys.

Another thing that I am unsure of...do i need to worry about the impedance? I know the stock Klipsch satellite's is "a minimum of 4 ohms", but I am not sure if I need to match that perfectly, or if I can use 6 or 8 ohms without any problems.

Any thoughts at all?

Nvm about the impedance btw, for some reason I temporarily forgot everything I learned in my electrical fundamentals class.

I have the same system as well, performs pretty good, but my subwoofer sounds like its farting...

Seems really complicated to replace just the speakers... why not replace the whole system?

I have considered doing so, but unfortunately the Klipsch's sub is the only one I can fit on my desk (I use these as computer speakers). If I have a sub on the floor, it just gives my cats another target to aim at. Plus, swapping sats is actually very easy. >_> Also, I don't have room for bookshelf speakers large enough to substitute for the Klipsch sub's in bass...otherwise i would've grabbed the 5.25" Pioneer set.

I have done some modding to my sub. In an experiment, I closed the bass port with a shirt, and then simply listened to my music. I noticed that the excursion actually increased dramatically while i had the port closed, the opposite of what I thought it would do. After about 15 minutes, I turned off the speakers, and re-opened the bass port. Since then, the sub seems to be much louder, and reproduce lower frequencies; it's timber has changed. To my ears, it now sounds better. Do note that I have never turned my set past 1/4 volume and 1/3 sub volume.

Last edited:
Cats pissing on stuff is usually caused by something, they generally don't target practice on subs. If you could figure out what is making them **** on stuff and put your sub back where it belongs on the floor, it would open up a lot more possibilities. It needs to be in a corner where it can reflect off 3 surfaces as well, really.

Right now you kinda back yourself into a corner with the size constraints and price range combination. Something like this would be fantastic.
http://www.amazon.com/Alesis-Monitor1-MKII-Channel-Monitor/dp/B0002A2RTU

Yeah....I shoulda mentioned that my budget is like $50 at the moment, and i am just looking to swap out my Promedia's default sats. I am currently also saving up for a $1300 computer rebuild.

I ordered a pair of these this morning. Just got them $10 cheaper off of Newegg. I know that they are far from audiophile quality, but they should work for my needs. I will one day buy a pair of these.

Anyway you could use floor standing speakers instead? Gotta love having high/low/mid ranges on separate cones :)

Unfortunately, with my computer setup the way it is, I have to set the sats on the window sill (say that 5 times fast lol)...so floor-standers are out. :/

Back