• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2xWD1002FAEX 1TB vs 1x WD2002FAEX 2TB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thetrystero

Any significant difference in performance between the two? They both have the same platter density and cache, so technically same performance?

Reason I'm asking is because the 1TB is on sale now and I can get the 2x1TB for cheaper than the 2TB. Also leaves me options open for RAIDing:)

Welcome to the forums, thetrystero. :welcome:

It depends on what you are doing with the drives, what kind of data you are storing on it, etc. If you just need storage, get the 2tb drive and don't complicate it with RAID.

Clarification on your part will help me give a more specific answer.

Welcome to the forums, thetrystero. :welcome:

It depends on what you are doing with the drives, what kind of data you are storing on it, etc. If you just need storage, get the 2tb drive and don't complicate it with RAID.

Clarification on your part will help me give a more specific answer.

Thanks. I forgot to put that in. I'll be using the drives for video editing.

2x 1TB Caviar Black WD1002FAEX in Raid 0 on mac

I would like to setup a software raid configuration on the Mac using Os x mountain lion.
After much research, I've settled on the Caviar black 1TB x2. The reason for this is because the new Seagate Spinpoint f3 are apparently not as good as the old ones made by Samsung. Moreover they only come with one year warranty. The deskstar 7k4000.d by Hitachi came in a close second, but the blacks are faster. The new seagates with 1TB per platter offer greater performance, but it seems every other person is knocking their reliability (correct me if I'm wrong).

I already have a 128GB SSD boot drive. This RAID 0 setup is meant as a scratch/storage for video editing purposes.

How much of an issue is the lack of tler on the blacks? Wd support says that raid 0 is supported. What are some of your practical experiences? Should I avoid the blacks and just go with the Hitachi and take the slight performance hit for greater raid reliability?

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers...sion/L3RpbWUvMTM1MjUxNjMyNy9zaWQvRldOVzNVYWw=

I fully understand the risks of raid 0 and have a separate drive to back up my data so please do not comment on that point.

Thanks. I forgot to put that in. I'll be using the drives for video editing.
That isn't quite what I meant by clarification, but from how you answered, it seems that you aren't familiar with RAID. You answered one facet of the question, but there are others. How important is the data? Is this video editing processor limited?

Basically, I wouldn't suggest doing this because to get the same space, you would need to do RAID 0. While this gives better performance, you roughly double the chances of catastrophic data loss and you added unnecessary complication to your system. There is no redundancy with this RAID level, so if one drive fails, you lose all your data.

Please create one thread per topic. I merged the threads.

Back